Hair renders with weird glitches, could really use some advice

Hey all! im quite new to daz (probably 2 months now) and have had a few succesful renders so far, but now I have found a problem that only happens when i started rendering characters with hair. most of them if not all have really weird random strands of hair thrown in them (while most of the hair actually looks pretty good), as well as black pixelated almost burned looking hair on the sides. at first i thought it was just a matter of longer render times, so i turned the max time to 0 with render quality off and just let it cook for 5000 samples with the idea that this would decrease the amount of weird looking hairs. but from lets say 1500 nothing changed anymore, the quality did not seem to improve. what am i doing wrong here? i have included the render settings and an example image as an attachement. the render took about 5/6 hours by the way, iray, 1080p, and just the auto headlamp as lighting. 

my pc is underwhelming i know but its an 1050ti 3gb with 16gb ram and a i7-7700 if that helps. would love some advice. 

render settings.PNG
175 x 308 - 12K
6 hours.png
1920 x 1080 - 3M

Comments

• The hairs around the edge might be an issue with anti-aliasing. What happens if you save as Tiff or PNG, with no backdrop, and then layer into a background in an image editor? Or, if that is what you are doing now, what happens if you render against a backdrop (an actual backdrop from the environemtn pane, or Draw Dome on in Render Settings)?

• Odesza7Odesza7 Posts: 12

I will try rendering it against a backdrop and some more lighting, see if that helps. does the anti-aliasing problem have something to do with the hair itself or is it something you think i might be able to tweek in the (render) settings.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way! really appreciate it.

• Odesza7 said:

I will try rendering it against a backdrop and some more lighting, see if that helps. does the anti-aliasing problem have something to do with the hair itself or is it something you think i might be able to tweek in the (render) settings.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way! really appreciate it.

I just started a post about this myself. Mine works with one render then subsequent renders look like yours (sometimes more extreme even). I've tried a BUNCH of stuff so far but since it works once then I have to build a brand new scene to make it work again, I think something else is going on besides the anti-aliasing. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

What version of Daz Studio are you using?  4.15 has problems with opacity.

• FezzikFezzik Posts: 5

I just hit this as well.  Thanks Sevrin for pointing me in a direction with the Opacity setting.  This is a crappy workaround and Daz needs to fix this, but here is what I did.

I saw the exact same pixelation with strands of hair that were away from the main stack of hair, just like Odesza7 posted.

I went to the Surfaces tab on the hair, had all parts of the hair selected, and then set Opacity to 99%

At least for the hair I was using, it cleared up those pixels.

Hope this helps.

• FezzikFezzik Posts: 5

Here are two renders with the temp work around above. 

Product is Karla Hair for Genesis 8

Left image is with Opacity at 100% or 1.0

Right Image is with Opacity at 99% or .99

Hope it works for you too.

HAIR_ISSUE.png
    800 x 338 - 332K

yeah the problem with the extreme pixalation got fixed for me when using a backdrop. the weird glowing hair strands arent fixed yet though. you can clearly see it the attached file, the hair is not smooth at all.

(this render only went to 10% but you get the idea, doesnt go away even when rendering it for hours long). its not with every hair type though so its really confusing and no one else seems to have this exact problem.

Sevrin said:

What version of Daz Studio are you using?  4.15 has problems with opacity.

Yeah I am on 4.15 atm

• You can pretty much get rid of all the details by tuning on Post Denoiser in Render Setting.

There's more to these setting that I don't really know about so I suggest you search Youtube for Post Denoiser in Daz Studio.

Also 5000 iteration? I don't remember the last time I render that many.

I found the solution! in the surface tab under 'editor', set the ''sss amount'' to 0 (its 1.0 by default). the hair looks perfectly normal now. thanks for the advice though everyone!

• DarkTyeh said:

Here are two renders with the temp work around above. 

Product is Karla Hair for Genesis 8

Left image is with Opacity at 100% or 1.0

Right Image is with Opacity at 99% or .99

Hope it works for you too.

OMG THANK YOU I BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR WEEKS!

• thank you for tip on the hair opacity. I'm very unhappy with the last DAZ update 4.15. I had to close my business one week due this bug. I hope they can fix it. for now set the opacity on the hair at .99, fix the issue. (image on the right)

thank you again to all on this forum.

Tiziano

opacity 1-.99.JPG
    1800 x 1257 - 259K
  • hallfinghallfing Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

Setting SSS Amount to 0 for Hair assets as OP pointed out works.

Post edited by hallfing on
  • CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213

I had the same problem and followed advice to set the SSS amount in the surfaces tab for all parts of the hair to Zero.  It worked, thankfully! :)  Thanks so much for all the help!

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,969

https://www.daz3d.com/karla-hair-for-genesis-8-females

just putting this link here so I can find this thread again

• Really thanks for the help.

Shared this discussion with the customer support, I'm trying to have fixes for the problem.

• I too have been having some issues recently as well with rendering hair, it appears that when ever I increase the hair volume or advance the hairline sometimes it causes the hair to have a rigid or almost patch like parts near the hairline.

• This is the render

20220220_091719.jpg
    3399 x 1788 - 2M