Genesis 8 base figures loading with white eyes.

xialiubeixialiubei Posts: 71

So I stupidly bought the Genesis 2 to Genesis 8 character converter, buying into the advertising that it would be a simple one-click process.  Anyway, not only was I unable to convert my character, but now when I load up a base Genesis 8 figure (male or female), it comes out like this:

And as an added bonus, when I try to load up previous G8 characters, or even create new ones, the problem persists.

Sorry to sound so snotty, it just feels like the learning curve never gets any easier.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Post edited by I-am-Cho on

Comments

• Thanks for the link, but I've already scanned the topic and didn't see anyone suffering from a similar issue.  I've seen other forum members with similar problems, even without having used this particular product, but I've never actually seen a workable solution.  I was hoping someone might have some advice.

• Does anyone know how if there is a way to reset things so that Daz loads up a figure/clothing/hair/props with their default properties?  Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.  I'm a noob with absolutely no clue.  

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

xialiubei said:

Does anyone know how if there is a way to reset things so that Daz loads up a figure/clothing/hair/props with their default properties?  Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.  I'm a noob with absolutely no clue.  

Try this: Uninstall and reinstall the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials. 

• xialiubeixialiubei Posts: 71
    edited January 2021

Sevrin said:

xialiubei said:

Does anyone know how if there is a way to reset things so that Daz loads up a figure/clothing/hair/props with their default properties?  Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.  I'm a noob with absolutely no clue.  

Try this: Uninstall and reinstall the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials. 

That was my first thought.  I've done it twice now and still no dice.  Exact same issue.  Just more information about the problem, if it helps at all.  If I apply character materials to a base figure, the eyes will work but not the eyelashes.  They still appear as black blocky blobs.

Post edited by xialiubei on
  • The lashes are a separate figure in Genesis 8 - it sounds as if the hierarchical presets are not seeing them as the thing they should be targeting, which might indicate a problem with the metadata rather than with the actual content. One thing to check, before any more uninstalling/reisntalling, is that there isn't another copy of some Genesis 8 base files in a different content directory that DS is finding before it finds the ones you  uninstalled and reinstalled - how do you install content, and is the content directory to which you are installing the first content directory or a later one?

• Richard Haseltine said:

The lashes are a separate figure in Genesis 8 - it sounds as if the hierarchical presets are not seeing them as the thing they should be targeting, which might indicate a problem with the metadata rather than with the actual content. One thing to check, before any more uninstalling/reisntalling, is that there isn't another copy of some Genesis 8 base files in a different content directory that DS is finding before it finds the ones you  uninstalled and reinstalled - how do you install content, and is the content directory to which you are installing the first content directory or a later one?

Hi, Richard.  If it is purchased from the Daz store I install through the Daz Install manager.  If it's fan made stuff from places like ShareCG then I do a manual install in C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library.

I'm quite sure you're right about a problem with the metadata, but I just don't know how I'd go about finding the problem.  I've contacted Riversoft about the issue, as it started after I used his product, but I haven't heard back yet, thus I decided to ask you guys hoping someone else might have had a similar experience in the past.

• Are there any other tech or dev forums you guys are familiar with that might be able to help?  I'm at my wit's end here.

Out of curiosity, what G2 character did you use the converter on?

• Sevrin said:

Out of curiosity, what G2 character did you use the converter on?

A G2 male with M4 morphs and M4 textures.  Anyway, I was able to find a workable solution, of which I'll post a bit later for people who have similar problems.  The base characters still load up with white eyes and wonky eyebrows, but you can go through and fix it manually.  Until I know where things went wrong in the metadata, it will have to suffice.

As for the converter, from another thread

SickleYield said:

Hi guys! RiverSoft Art is having difficulty accessing the Daz Forums since Friday, Jan 8th. Once the issue is resolved, he will answer any of the script questions.