Daz Studio taking very long time to Start Render Iray

TannimTannim Posts: 43

So, I just recently upgraded to a RTX 3070, previously I had a GTX1080,  Previously I'd hit render it'd take 10-30 seconds of figuring stuff out before popping up the render window and starting the render. now

w/ the 3070 it takes 90 seconds or longer to even get to the point where the render bar appears and before it gets moving. Interactive mode is working just fine. 

this is with 4.14 and tried 4.15. 

other notes this is with a less bloated runtime, running on a NVME, and as previously stated didnt seem to take as long to even start on the slower card

both the 1080 and 3070 of the same amount of ram (8 gigs) same scene. 

I was just trying to see how much faster Iray would render but the speed seems moot if it takes twice as long before it even starts rendering

PS, have tried w/ the two most recent drivers,.. the Cyberpunk GR driver from last month and a driver update from 1/7, yes GRD's as I also game unless theres a specific driver someone recommends thats not to far back as I also need to be able to game

Post edited by Tannim on

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited January 2021

I'm not seeing that behavior. However, the time it takes to see the first image will be greatly dependent on the complexity of the scene. I have a RTX 2080 Super and a single clothed character with an HDRI and single spotlight appears in 15 seconds with Beta 4.15.0.2.

Pretty much the same for the 4.14 Beta and release versions.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • I've also had this problem on a 3090, daz 4.16 and 4.20, on a scene with a single charcter, no background and no set. It sometimes take up to two minutes to start rendering. 

• Same on 4090 insane amount of time to actually start rendering. checking the GPU and it's not in use so it isn't that it's rendering in the background and appearing stalled - something just isn't right.

• TATSU 3DTATSU 3D Posts: 224

My DAZ has also randomly started doing this recently too. I'm running Studio 4.21 and have twin RTX 2080 Ti's. Even a base figure, no hair or clothes, with a basic portrait HDRI light takes up to 2 mins to even BEGIN to render. Once it does it still takes seconds, like it always did. It's just this loading time that is now glacial.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

How much RAM do you have?

• I have this only if DS decided to set a G8 character to Sub-D 5.

Most scenes use the sub-d value I set in parameters -> general. E.g. I set sub-d3 -> save scene -> close scene -> open scene -> character is still sub-d 3.

Loading to render is fast then.

But in some scenes the character always resets to sub-d 5 even though it was saved with a lower sub-d. If I forget to set it back to the lower value, render preparing time goes up significantly.

• TATSU 3DTATSU 3D Posts: 224

cgidesign said:

I have this only if DS decided to set a G8 character to Sub-D 5.

Most scenes use the sub-d value I set in parameters -> general. E.g. I set sub-d3 -> save scene -> close scene -> open scene -> character is still sub-d 3.

But in some scenes the character always resets to sub-d 5 even though it was saved with a lower sub-d. If I forget to set it back to the lower value, render preparing time goes up significantly.

@cgidesign - Thank you! This was the culprit in my case. Such a simple fix yet something I would never have thought to have checked. Thanks again.

• cgidesign said:

I had no idea that this was even a thing. The amount of renders / animations I've abandoned as I can't for the life of me figured out why a render takes 60 seconds to even start.

• cgidesign said:

I had no idea that this was even a thing. The amount of renders / animations I've abandoned as I can't for the life of me figured out why a render takes 60 seconds to even start.