DSON won't install for Poser12

I have purchased Poser 12 and used instlal manager to install my stuff..  but for Poser 12, when I direct Install Manager to the folder with the Poser.exe folder, the OK button stays grayed out.   Any idea how to get past this?  Or are we waiting for a new DSON to support Poser 12?

Thanks,   Boojum

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,390

Even if you could install it, DSON importer plugin wouldn't work with P12 at all. They changed the python version used and it's not compatible with the plugin.

• So that would be wait for Daz to update DSON to work with the new Python version?   Do we have an eta at all?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

Boojum the brown bunny said:

So that would be wait for Daz to update DSON to work with the new Python version?   Do we have an eta at all?

I am pretty sure DAZ no longer supports that plug in, so it might never happen.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

Havos said:

So that would be wait for Daz to update DSON to work with the new Python version?   Do we have an eta at all?

I am pretty sure DAZ no longer supports that plug in, so it might never happen.

As I understand it, the DSON importer was a 'band-aid' to get Genesis and Genesis 2 figures into Poser after CP declined the offer of assistance in developing native code. That was seven years ago. I think the ball is now in Rendo's court - Daz has moved on to G3 and G8, neither of which work with Poser even with the importer. (I don't do Poser, so I'm unsure about G3).

• Oh wow, is that official word?    That Daz is no longer going to support Poser?   I have always used Poser for rendering my scenes, and that makes a lot of character content I've bought here at Daz unusable...   which isn't going to make me happy.    

• We don't know. The older figures, Genesis 1 and 2, can be exported as CR2; Genesis 3 and 8 require some fiddling, and a third-party tool, to get more-or-less into Poser.

• I know, I hate working with Genesis 3 and above because of how hard it is to use in poser.    That's one reason why I haven't been using Daz figures as much.   I thought that the lack of development was because they were focused on their new studio features...   but you're right, it's been ages and higher genesis figures really should have been supported by now if they were going to support Poser.   The Poser Scene export is gone from studio.   I tried exporting cr2 and ended up with an empty folder where the cr2 should have been.   I tried collada and ended up with a figure no longer posed.   It's sounding more and more like my Daz content is aging out and I will have to go back to using the 4's (michael, hiro, etc 4 figures)    

• Well, the issue with Genesis 3+ is that poser itself lacks features that they use (which is why the process for getting them into Poser is more-or-less). As far as I know CR2 export should eb working, assuming you have entered your serial number for DS, but it does of course need an OBJ first. If it seems broken please report it to Daz.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, the issue with Genesis 3+ is that poser itself lacks features that they use (which is why the process for getting them into Poser is more-or-less). As far as I know CR2 export should eb working, assuming you have entered your serial number for DS, but it does of course need an OBJ first. If it seems broken please report it to Daz.

And this is why I indicated that the ball is in Rendo's court. Is there enough demand to support G3 and G8 in Poser for them to make the changes in the code to support them? It's not something that can be initiated by Daz.

• Exporting in cr2 and obj and collada..  none of them work, I tried.    They come out in a neutral pose with clothes not fitting...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

have you tried FBX?

• coralyncoralyn Posts: 46
    edited January 2021

Exporting in cr2 and obj and collada..  none of them work, I tried.    They come out in a neutral pose with clothes not fitting...

Interesting discussion - did you skip Poser 11? That also didn't properly support DSON Import.

I was a heavy DSON Import user for G2F in Poser, but the first upgrade of P11 broke DSON Import. Specifically, you could create NEW scenes, but you could not reload saved scenes from disk. I even paid for the Poser11.1 update, but that didn't help. So fresh non-updated P11 works, everything else doesn't. Ended up rolling back to Poser10/2014 for a few years. Now I'm trying to learn DS 4.14

What is happening (if you dig into the objects) is that the POSE gets applied (misadplied or hi-jacked) to the comformed clothing not the base figure. As you say, perhaps it is the SAVE not the reload which is the problem. Thus the pose looks nuetral, although I found it a bit of hit or miss, depending on the clothing. Sometimes legs would pose, but not arms. The only 'fix' is delete all conformed items, repose the figure, and reload & MAT the clothing. Not worth the effort. Can you go back to your older version of Poser?

Post edited by coralyn on
  • I was using Poser 11.5, but things were so hard to use that I just gave up.   Having to remember a dozen steps every time you make a little change in order to save things properly just became too much of a pain.    

Thank you for letting me know about the problems with Daz and Poser 12, but I honestly don't think this is a "The other guy should be fixing it" problem.   Both the makers of Poser and the makers of Daz should be working on compatibility.   

For now, I have uninstalled all my Genesis stuff and gone back to the Gen 4 characters (M4, V4, H4, A4, and D4) and will just not get anything more for Genesis.