Messy Pixie Hair memory hog

joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

I just purchased [Messy Pixie Hair] this character. I ran into several issues. First, after installing via DAZ central, there's a folder for it, but there's no character (.DUF) file displayed. There's the materials folders beneath the character file, but no character per se in the folder. If I browse to the folder, then I do see a .DUF, and clicking on it, it loads. But that's where the big problems occur...

As I start to set it up, my computer bogs down bigtime. Just trying to turn the frame in Perspective View, it takes 2-3 minutes to complete a turn of as little as 10 degrees or so. In fact, [i]anything[/i] takes minutes to accomplish. Looking at Task Manager, I see that DAZ Studio is using over 5 Gig or memory for this character. In Studio 4.14, my other figures use about 1.2-1.6 Gig. Obviously, the extra 4 Gig are causing the slowdown.

Does anyone else see this, or does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? The figure is unusable like this, and I'd really like to be able to use it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EDIT: I found that the character start isn't in the Daisy 8 folder, but in the Character folder. Loading it there makes it a much smaller 840 meg file. I didn't figure Thorne would make a pig of a file- I've been using his characters since Lilo Bebe, 15 years ago. (And I still use it!)

Edit Edit: Nope. NOT solved. Over time, it climbs right back up to 5 or 6 Gig. Only thing I added was the Messy Pixie Hair prop. And I see another issue: Once you close DAZ, it doesn't release the memory for quite a while. I'm looking at a task Manager with DAZ shut down, but Task Manager showing that it's still using iver 4.9 Gig of memory. Only way to get rid of it is to End Task, or wait 20 minutes until it finally releasess the resources.  Really weird.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I've narrowed it down to the Messy Pixie Hair. There's all sorts of things it does, like if you delete it and re-load it, it never releases the memory, and continues to add more. I tried 3 instances of loading. deleting, and re-loading, and by the 3rd one, I was up to 9 Gig or resources tied up in DAZ studio, and it was almost completely unresponsive. I also tried it on other characters, same behavior for all.

I took screen shots and saved 'em, and opened up a ticket, attaching the screenshots so DAZ could see the problem. let's see what happens. I've attached the one where it was up t0 9 Gig.

..Joe

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Daisy 3.jpg
643 x 412 - 99K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Are you talking about Messy Pixie Cut Hair?  That's Strand-based Hair, and it requires a lot of system memory.  This hair comes with a utility to reduce viewport load, to make it easier to set up scenes, but it's pretty heavy regardless.

• Yes. I can believe it requires a lot of systyem memory, but 4 Gig? I have 16 Gig in my PC, and it slows it to a crawl.

And that doesn't say anything about not releasing resources when it's done.

Thanks for the info.

..Joe

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

joegerardi_36a94660de said:

Yes. I can believe it requires a lot of systyem memory, but 4 Gig? I have 16 Gig in my PC, and it slows it to a crawl.

And that doesn't say anything about not releasing resources when it's done.

Thanks for the info.

..Joe

The memory releasing is a well-known issue with DS.  One way around that is to start a different instance of DS while the first shuts down.

• Yeah- it's been that way all the way back to Studio 1.5. But this is a little different: I've never seen it take this long. In the instance of loading and removing the hair 3 times - getting DAZ up to  9 Gig in size - after 45 mintues I gave up and ended the process in Task Manager. That's how I've been doing is since about 2007.

Thanks,

..Joe

• edited January 2021

Just did some quickie testing with a few fibermesh hairs, and this looks like an inherent issue with it.

The messy pixie cut hair, does take around 3GB of system ram on load, when fitted to a character.

I checked the Jen and Felixx hairs,  also from propschick and fiber mesh.

both required a high amount of ram, ~1GB for Jen and ~2GB for the Felixx hair, and both produced a bit of lag. Adjusting my display settings down to Performance, made it tollerable, but i'm also on a 1GB 6450 amd from around 10 years ago. I probably wouldn't even notice it on my main system.

Looks like i'll be adding an extra category to my organization, as well as avoiding these for a bit.

As to the "delete and reload" using more ram, that's normal.

Deleting an item doesn't release any ram, as the delete is still in the undo stack.

If you want to release ram, you'll need to start a new scene(Ctrl+N or File>New), or close DS and restart.

As far as the ram releasing after closing. Give it about 3-5 minutes then end task in task manager. In my experience, that's about how long it takes to update the caches.

Doing it sooner and some stuff might break, or DS won't 'remember' certain things from session to session.

Edit:Forgot to mention, doing the 'New" then closing, also releases ram a bit quicker, in general.

Post edited by DrunkMonkeyProductions on