Best way to take a posed, dressed and textured Daz figure into ZBrush?

MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 178

What is the best workflow by which to take a posed, dressed and textured Daz Studio figure into ZBrush, and have it show up there posed, dressed and textured? And also reasonably responsive in the viewport.

No further re-posing or sculpting is needed in ZBrush. What I'm interested in is using the new ZBrush BPR filters to get a stylised comic-book like render from a posed and dressed DAZ export. This also means I'm not too worried about the 3Delight/IRay textures looking a bit odd once they're in ZBrush.

Is it even possible? Or does ZBrush force the model to import in as "red clay"?

Post edited by Martirilla on

Comments

• I'm a bit behind on ZBrush features, but in the past it hasn't applied textures and hasn't understood the overlapping mapping used in Daz figures (UDIMs without, until recently, the U offset). GoZ from DS doesn't send over any grouping at all, so you'd have to go via OBJ and import materials as groups (in the options menu for ZBrush import), divide the mesh a few times,then load the maps, then go through hiding all but one tile and converting the mtaching textures texture to polypaint to colour the polygons.

• Thanks. On reading more elsewhere, it seems that a Texture Atlas is still needed for an imported Genesis figure. Because the current ZBrush can still only handle one texture. Once the Genesis figure is inside ZBrush, re-fitting the Texture Atlas is said to be quite difficult.

I wonder if an importable file-format could be devised to contain and align a Figure + Texture Atlas? One solution might be to have DAZ automatically add small geometry "pegs" at key points in the figure's mesh, on export? In ZBrush these "pegs" would be recognised and used to automatically hang the Texture Atlas correctly onto the figure. Then the "pegs" could be smoothed away.

• ZBrush can handle multiple textures, but you do have to hide all the parts that are not meant to receive/create the current texture.

• ParallaxCreatesParallaxCreates Posts: 419
    edited January 2021

Image removed

The process can be maticulous but as Richard stated, it can be done. 

CNTRL + SHFT + CLICK is your friend.

1. Hide everything but the one polygroup you are going to apply a texture to.

2. Import texture.

3. Polypaint from texture. 

4. Repeat 1-3 until you're done.

Do note, you are going to have to divide SHFT + D to get a better resolution on the polypaint from the texture.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Unless it's changed you need to invert the V axis when you import/export maps.