How near to the origin do render issues start?

I am working on a physically large model I want to use in DS, it may well end up over 200m (20,000 cm) across, and it's likely I'll want little vignettes concentrating on small areas of activity at fairly large distances from the origin. Are distances of 200m big enough to cause iRay rounding errors during rendering? If so, how close do they need to be?

If so, I may need to move the model and any characters at the point of activity is closer to the origin. Can't test it as the model isn't finished nor is it ready to go into DS yet.

Regards,

Richard.

Comments

• My understanding is that the problems are caused with layers of mesh that are "too" close to each other {such as found in eyeballs}. So maybe if there are no super close layers of mesh the problems won't happen?

• Ahh. That's interesting. I suppose I should try moving a figure out to that distance & seeing how it goes. 

Thanks.

Richard

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I believe there is a moisture morph somewhere that allows you to move the moisture layer on the eye a bit out, so the problem is mitigated.

• Yes I think there's a couple over at sharecg.com ... and several vendors now include one with the character sets :-)

• I see, but as I am thinking of doing the project as a general release rather than just for me, I'd prefer to prevent problems rather than suggest somewhere to go to fix the problem. It's a matter of wanting to make things as easy as possible for users.

Regards,

Richard.