Screen turns black during intensive renders

First of all the rendered image -itself- does not turn black, it looks fine.

Computer stats:

CPU: Intel Core i7 9700 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 24 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1660
Connection to the screen: Displayport.

I've had this issue for a while now, where anything extremely intensive (lots of d-force fur/fur in high specularity) causes my computer to freeze and the screen to turn black for a bit. This does affect the render itself at all, but I have a feeling this caused a ram stick to die.

I have not seen discussions on the matter, so I'm curious for a possible solution to this problem.

Comments

• I don't know if this will help but I noticed that when Daz is really thinking hard my video card (RTX 2070) can cease outputting to the monitor.

If I know I am going to be gone for a while I'll often turn my monitor off and turn it on when I come back. Sometimes the monitor does not come back on. It only comes back on if it senses video input. For quite a while I thought the PC had crashed when this happened (and needlessly restarted it), but one day I just left it and the video input resumed after a while and it was fine.

It may be that connecting the monitor to the motherboard rather than the GPU would solve this (and save a bit of VRAM!). I haven't tried that yet but being patient seems to work for me.