dForce makes my computer crash

As the titel says, dForce makes my computer crash.

The crashes usually occur when I render (both "real" Iray renders and viewport renders) or when i run dForce simulations, but only when there are dForce-items (clothes or hair) in the scene. 

I don't receive any error messages. The screen just goes black and then nothing affects the computer. I have to close it hard and reboot.
The crashes are frequent. I would estimate them to occur once per hour.

(One item has caused more trouble than others, I still haven't been able to render on single image with it.
It might be a coincidence. Or not. The item is: Biscuits Kit Hair with dForce for Genesis 8 Female.)

I have DAZ Studio version 4.14.0.10.

I have updated the drivers of the graphics card.

Specs
Windows 10
Grapchics Card: Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz
Ram: 64 GB

What is the problem and, more importantly, how do I fix it? Any ideas?

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I don't know what it is with dForce lately.  Lots of crashes period, and in 4.15 and previously in 4.14, I'm getting a lot of "Error preparing stuff for simulation" (NOT EXACT WORDING) errors, and have to restart DS to be able to do anything with dForce after that, even after deleting and reloading the clothing.

• onixonix Posts: 282

Usually that's the issue with Nvidia driver and Iray renderer plugin which is always full of bugs

RTX cards are still quite new so I suspect that it will take some suffering time. 

You probably can try different Nvidia drivers maybe some of them will work better than another

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Using driver version 456.38 on RTX 2070 Super here with DS4.15 and W7, so far only seen problems with opacity in the viewport (sometimes), dForce no problem.

• Suddenly, my computer, which had previuosly worked jusr fine, now crashes evertime I try to use Dforce.

• DafaDafa Posts: 97
    edited April 2021

Yeah, I've been getting those after installing DAZ Studio 4.15.0.2. I think it happens if you opened a project (or assets) that was created w/ an older version of DAZ Studio, it'd show up.

For this last project I was working on, the dForce "Error preparing stuff for simulation" error message came up a lot. I had to restart DAZ Studio every...single...time. But what I did gather from it, at least from my case, is that it will never show up until after you do a render. Once you do a render, that dForce message pops up, and there's nothing you can do about it except restart the app (and maybe reload the project, I haven't tried it).

Post edited by Dafa on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

jconder676_652d576f03 said:

Suddenly, my computer, which had previuosly worked jusr fine, now crashes evertime I try to use Dforce.

Whenever something changes "Suddenly", it is often due to windows updating something. Check your GPU drivers, windows may have changed them to ones that don't fully support DS

• EorthmanEorthman Posts: 18

dforce has always crashed my Mac. It starts a simulation, then locks up the computer, then DazStudio crashes. Every once in a while a simulation will complete—maybe one time in 20—but I've basically stopped even trying to use anything that has dforce involved. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

Eorthman said:

dforce has always crashed my Mac. It starts a simulation, then locks up the computer, then DazStudio crashes. Every once in a while a simulation will complete—maybe one time in 20—but I've basically stopped even trying to use anything that has dforce involved. 

That is bad to hear. Have to contected customer support? I don't use Macs, but dforce is rock solid for me and never crashes.