Daz Studio not using gpu

MerakiMeraki Posts: 38

So yeah again, same problem, since the latest version of daz my gpu isn't used at all, gpu at 0% on task manager, so i decide to not use my cpu on daz, try to render and the app just blacks out and stop responding, i have an rtx 3080 that works and everything else but not on daz. It's not the first time that i'm having issues with daz. Could someone help me please

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,672

Do you have the newest version of Daz Studio, and a rather new GPU driver?

• MerakiMeraki Posts: 38

i've recently made a fresh install of windows 10 so yeah everything is new and updated

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

You need to get a recent driver from Nvidia. The Windows 10 video drivers for Nivida gpus are trash. The 4.14 versions fo Studoi have a minimum driver requirement of 451.48

Meraki said:

i've recently made a fresh install of windows 10 so yeah everything is new and updated

• MerakiMeraki Posts: 38

I've downloaded the drivers from the nvidia website. driver version 460.89

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,486

Meraki said:

I've downloaded the drivers from the nvidia website. driver version 460.89

If those don't work, try something older - Newer than 451.48 though. 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
    edited January 2021

You might need to be a seeker and click update in Windows update.

It may say you are updated but you might need to seek to get certain updates.

There is also an option there I think to install third party drivers, add that.

I would also maybe try installing Blender and seeing if your card renders in that.

Maybe also install a fairly new game if you have one or even some older ones, see  how the card works with them, often games install certain libraries that could be missing in Windows.

Make sure you have Iray renderer selected (you probably do already).

Try alternating to the Nvidia game driver instead of the studio one and see if that works.

Try a fresh custom install of the Nvidia driver instead of the express install.  

Post edited by RexRed on
  • deepswingdeepswing Posts: 152

Just to be sure, as this might be a mistake when reading the task manager. For me, it's always showing 0% GPU usage in task manager (using RTX 3080, too), but the task manager works differently. If you select your graphics card, the CUDA shaders are what keeps your machine busy and where it should go up to 100%. 

What is the log file saying, any aborting message that GPU hasn't been used?

• cav8001cav8001 Posts: 0

I have a solution that worked for me. In Windows 10, go into SETTINGS and type graphics settings. Now, turn Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling to ON. Inside DAZ Studio, make sure to uncheck CPU in both devices boxes in the render advanced tab, which will leave only the Nvidia card. Also uncheck allow CPU fallback. As long as you have enabled Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, the iray renders should start using the GPU. 

• cav8001 said:

I have a solution that worked for me. In Windows 10, go into SETTINGS and type graphics settings. Now, turn Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling to ON. Inside DAZ Studio, make sure to uncheck CPU in both devices boxes in the render advanced tab, which will leave only the Nvidia card. Also uncheck allow CPU fallback. As long as you have enabled Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, the iray renders should start using the GPU. 

OK... perhaps the real key here is the Hardware Accerated GPU Scheduling.  i did the above and sure enough the GPU shot up to 100% utilization and the CPU stayed low.  even better... i re-checked the CPU on photoreal mode but left it unchecked on fallback (and of course left the GPU scheduling option on... and both GPU and CPU were utilized and my render time was about the same... so what was my CPU doing? 

• So it's all a big nothing not to worry about.  After all, DazStudio renders really fast and is an awesome program!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,486

sympathetic said:

even better... i re-checked the CPU on photoreal mode but left it unchecked on fallback (and of course left the GPU scheduling option on... and both GPU and CPU were utilized and my render time was about the same... so what was my CPU doing? 

The CPU is so slow compared to GPU that if selected, it may even slow the rendering compared to GPU only rendering

No reason to uncheck CPU fallback though. 

• rdnx10rdnx10 Posts: 3

When using the Windows Task Manager to determine if you GPU is being used or not. Remember to select the GPU - CUDA statistic on the GPU Panel, and not the default 3D statistic. (See attached)

• cav8001 said:

Thank you man after looking for so long this fixed it for me

• ahmedfathysokiaahmedfathysokia Posts: 0
    edited April 7

cav8001 said:

thanks bruv

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • artxtapartxtap Posts: 147

yes, you can the best card, but if that setting is not applied. your card will sit there like a bump on a log and do NOTHING. it might show some life if you switch from textured mode to iray mode in the viewport, but that is all.

• danman00danman00 Posts: 0
    edited April 12

defaultelegy said:

cav8001 said:

Thank you man after looking for so long this fixed it for me

Man, i was pulling my hair trying to figure this out... thanks for the info

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • cav8001 said:

You lovely beautiful awesome person, thank you for this!