Tips for speeding up G8F posing?

beginnersMindbeginnersMind Posts: 4

I have a lot more content (characters/shaping/poses) for G8F than G8M, and the G8F is slower to manipulate than the G8M. Sometimes when I try to zero the pose for a character DAZ simply freezes for minutes, changing dials takes forever and is very unresponsive et c. It's not subdivision levels, I've turned these down. It gets worse with certain hair models, but the problems persist even when I hide the hair in the viewport. I've searched and can't really find the answer, but I've tested one theory (that performance suffers if you have a large number of pose files) and that doesn't seem to be it.

I have 50+ characters in my library – is that the issue? Are all the shaping products the issue?

My computer is a couple of years old, but the thing is it only affects G8F, not G8M so that can't really be it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Post edited by beginnersMind on

Comments

• Number of morphs/characters is certainly a factor - the more there are the longer it takes DS to check through the ramifications of any change to the pose. You might want to look through snd see if there are any you don't need permanently installed.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

One thing I found speeded up my posing was uninstalling Auto Face Enhancer, although setting it to zero might also help.  But having a lot of morphs is the issue, rather than having a lot of poses.

This is an issue Daz needs to prioritize.  I don't know about other people, but having a lot of Daz characters and morphs already installed is a reason I often decide against buying additional ones.

• I pose in wireframe mode or Texture shaded mode. or even in Filament mode. They use less resources

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Sevrin said:

One thing I found speeded up my posing was uninstalling Auto Face Enhancer, although setting it to zero might also help.  But having a lot of morphs is the issue, rather than having a lot of poses.

This is an issue Daz needs to prioritize.  I don't know about other people, but having a lot of Daz characters and morphs already installed is a reason I often decide against buying additional ones.

Indeed, one of many irritating features of DAZ Studio. I perfectly understand that there will always be limitations on how fast things can be done; more of this and more of that will always eventually slow things down. However it does seem to me that DAZ Studio suffers from these issue more than other programs (just my observation, sorry I can't provide hard facts and figures... besides, I'm not paid to debug programs).

Nevertheless, such issues cause irritation to many people and it is not always obvious to the average user which issues are being worked on by the DS developers.

Perhaps it would be an idea to have an "Ideas page" forum where DS users can make suggestions for improvements and new features that they would like to see. I know that these topics are raised in the forums from time to time, but I'm sure that the developers don't have time to read through thousands of posts looking for this information; and if they do have time then they should stop doing so and get on and do some programing!

I know that DAZ3d doesn't very much like to tell it's clients the details of what they are working on, but such a page could be a place where they could at least indicate general areas of work.