Quadro k6000 for iray

Will a quadro k6000 work with the latest version of iray? They're 12gb vram and going for about $300-$350 range on eBay which is the maximum I'm willing to pay for a gpu. Anybody still use this card for iray today? Any success? I'm planning on getting one but don't wanna waste $350 as I'm on a fixed budget 

Comments

• Isn't that Kepler? I'm fairly sure that is no longer supported in Iray

• It is. I just noticed it's not supported anymore. Was that recent? I really don't wanna spend $500-$1000 or more for a 12gb supported gpu. I don't have money like that. Can iray use multiple gpus? I'll get a second m4000 quadro or a m40 Tesla which I used for my other Daz studio workstation before I (don't laugh) tripped over the cable pulled it off the desk and smashed it into pieces. I still have my main Daz Studio workstation computer though thankfully.

• Last I recall, multiple GPUs will work for stills, but they could not be combined for animations. [ In case it helps, I am using an M6000 and it is working fine in both 4.11 and 4.14 beta. ] 

• Good to know about multiple gpus. Hard pass on the idea of buying a m6000 that's a $400+ Card. Too pricy. I'm gonna grab a 12gb m40 Tesla gpu attach a fan to it run it along side my m4000 quadro upgrade my PSU and call it a day. All of which I can do for less than $300 in parts on eBay used of course.

• It should do nicely for octane render engine too just saying 

• Maxwell is also gone for Iray, which is what the m stands for. I think you need the equivalent of 9xx cards or later for Iray currently.

Multiple cards can be used, for both stills and animations, but each works independently - they each need to fit the scene into their memory - so it's speed that stacks. I think the top 8GB cards from the 20x0 series, at least the 2080, can be linked via nvLink and then they will, for a performance hit, pool memory for materials (which tends to be the big memory hog) - but those cards are scarce now. Quadros from the same geenration would also, presumably, stack if they had nvLink and you purchased the connector.

If memory is an issue have you tried resizing the textures? Scene Optimiser is a lot cheaper than a new card.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Maxwell is also gone for Iray, which is what the m stands for. I think you need the equivalent of 9xx cards or later for Iray currently.

Multiple cards can be used, for both stills and animations, but each works independently - they each need to fit the scene into their memory - so it's speed that stacks. I think the top 8GB cards from the 20x0 series, at least the 2080, can be linked via nvLink and then they will, for a performance hit, pool memory for materials (which tends to be the big memory hog) - but those cards are scarce now. Quadros from the same geenration would also, presumably, stack if they had nvLink and you purchased the connector.

If memory is an issue have you tried resizing the textures? Scene Optimiser is a lot cheaper than a new card.

• Incorrect about maxwell gpus. I have a m6000 24gb and previously m4000 quadros and they work fine with iray. My m6000 24gb cost me more than the rest of the entire computer setup including keyboard mouse and mouse AND both monitors plus all the upgrades on the computer put together (128gb ddr3 ecc and dual e5-2630 Xeons and a sound blaster z gaming sound card a 27" hp fhd monitor a LG 25" ultra wide monitor Razer rgb keyboard mouse and mouse as I also game a little microphone Razer headphones a 4tb sata hdd and 2tb hdd and the t5610 dell precision desktop computer all bought cheapish on eBay used except the Razer stuff) and it does beautifully no kicking it over to the cpu except one time out if the countless renders I did on the m6000 and ZERO Tesla gpu coprocessor required or used. But I doubt that will be the case in the next couple years and it's not like I'm gonna come across $1200 for a gpu ever again In this life as my main income is SSI. But yeah m series works for iray....for now. And a 2080 is a pipe dream. Tbh so would a 9xx series in my case

• I might pickup Scene Optimizer just in case I get another of those once in a blue moon too much for my m6000 renders

• The m6000 I acquired with the last stimulus check so obviously I'm not gonna have that kinda money ever again so I'm treating it VERY carefully and not doing anything crazy to it like my other gpus or modding it liquid cooling it custom fan cooling it painting it bubblegum pink (yes I actually did that to a gpu AND the server chassis it was in) etc etc etc

• But again m series works with iray for now 

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I don't understant why everyone is going around saying Kepler cards are no longer supported in Iray... The minimum driver version for Iray the newest Daz Sudio beta is 451.48...

All of the Quadro K series cards support the newest drivers.

All of the Geforce GTX 600 and 700 series cards support the newest drivers.

The notebook Kepler Geforce cards only support up to the 4.25 drivers

The notebook Kepler Quadro cards only support up to the 4.15 drivers

So... A more accurate statement would be that Iray support has ended for Kepler based notebooks.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

JamesJAB said:

I don't understant why everyone is going around saying Kepler cards are no longer supported in Iray... The minimum driver version for Iray the newest Daz Sudio beta is 451.48...

All of the Quadro K series cards support the newest drivers.

All of the Geforce GTX 600 and 700 series cards support the newest drivers.

The notebook Kepler Geforce cards only support up to the 4.25 drivers

The notebook Kepler Quadro cards only support up to the 4.15 drivers

So... A more accurate statement would be that Iray support has ended for Kepler based notebooks.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6200861/#Comment_6200861

4.14.0.8 (November 10, 2020)

• NVIDIA Iray
      • Integrated Iray 2020.1.1 (334300.4226); see this thread for more detail
        • REQUIRES: NVIDIA Driver 451.48 (or newer) on Windows; see NVIDIA Driver Downloads
          • NVIDIA recommends installing Studio Drivers
        • Adds support for Ampere GPUs (SM 8.0 / GA100)
        • Support for SM 3.X/Kepler generation GPUs has been removed - due to CUDA 11
        • Support for SM 5.0/"Small" Maxwell generation GPUs are marked as deprecated - matching CUDA 11
  • I know this is an idiotic question for some who works as a computer sales and hardware repair/instillation shop owner/operator to ask but errr.what the heck is the difference between maxwell 2.0 (which is what my gpu is according to quick research) and "small" maxwell? just wondering. i mean its doing a bang up job at iray for now so im good at least for a little while.

• also i'm getting mixed messages about kepler quadros/teslas. yes or no to iray compatibility with iray and them?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

RemiliaSutton said:

also i'm getting mixed messages about kepler quadros/teslas. yes or no to iray compatibility with iray and them?

There is no conflicting information, the post I linked to is the official DAZ information, which states that as of version 4.14.0.8, support for Keppler cards has been removed for Iray rendering - Has nothing to do with available driver versions for those cards. 

• Just realized that. Thanks. I guess my m6000 was the best choice for me. It handles iray beautifully not to mention filament