Attaching webp Image to Discussion

Hello.  I replied to a user in a post of mine in another forum a few minutes ago and chose to attach an image file.  I decided to see if DAZ3D's new webp image format would work.  It was rejected!!  I had to convert DAZ3D's own new image format to a traditional format (jpg or png) for forum to allow it to be uploaded.

Has anyone reported this in a Help Desk ticket or discussed this in a post?

Comments

• Far as I understand it, the WebP stuff is being generated by the cloud-service that Daz3D uses to load balance the web-page loading.  On Daz3D's own servers, the files are still in jpg or png or whateve they originated at.  It seems to be at random sometimes wether yuo get the original jpg or png, or you get the webp.  I don't get the improession Daz3D have any control over that.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595

Or is it that no one cares.  If the DAZ3D forums can't upload image files from the DAZ3D pages, then that needs to be fixed.  But I don't think it will happen soon.   :(

• To the best of my understanding, the webm thing is happening on servers that don't belong to Daz3D.  Basically, they're paying a 3rd party to host a dynamic copy of the website, to fallover to when the actual website isn't loading fast enough.  It is this third party dynamic copy that gives you webm instead of jpg.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2020

jjoyner said:

Hello.  I replied to a user in a post of mine in another forum a few minutes ago and chose to attach an image file.  I decided to see if DAZ3D's new webp image format would work.  It was rejected!!  I had to convert DAZ3D's own new image format to a traditional format (jpg or png) for forum to allow it to be uploaded.

Has anyone reported this in a Help Desk ticket or discussed this in a post?

WebP is NOT "DAZ3D's own new image format". WebP is a ten years old image format developed by Google and in quite widespread use in the backend of the internet. Now that that is out of the way, DAZ3D chose which file formats to permit for user upload in their forum software, which is a completely independent choice to what image formats to serve to the users' browsers when displaying store pages. WebP is not among the former but among the latter. That is all there is to this issue.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595
    edited December 2020

Thanks

Post edited by jjoyner on