How to make a clothing pile with DForce?

Hello!

You see I want to create a messy room using the clothing pieces that I own, as if my character is disorganized (socks, shirts, jeans). When I use the DForce and simulate, yes, they fall onto the floor, but they desintigrate in a way that does not look like a simple cloth might if draped over a chair or something. Some of them explode. 

What I am thinking is that I want to use the clothing pieces as 'props', thinking they might act differently that way, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any thoughts?

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

You can try Edit>Figure>Rigging>Convert Figure to Prop, but I've not found that to help with the items that explode or disintegrate.

• I don't think you can do much about the clothes that explode - I have never found a reliable way. I did succeed with a bit of clothing that disintegrated, but it was a PITA. I basically re-created the clothing - exported it as an obj, merged the vertices that were separating, re-imported and re-rigged the clothing. A faff, but a useful learning experience.

If you drop each piece individually and simulate it one at a time, then export the item as an obj, delete the dropped clothing, re-import the obj and move on to the next piece you have the best chance of reducing explosions, but it's not much better than the other way.

Regards,

Richard

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I read that sometimes increasing the frames per second multiplier in the simulation settings will fix exploding clothing. I did try it on an item I dforced and it worked. It's not always the case, but it is worth a try.

• kaotkbliss said:

I read that sometimes increasing the frames per second multiplier in the simulation settings will fix exploding clothing. I did try it on an item I dforced and it worked. It's not always the case, but it is worth a try.

It depends on the cause of the explosion. If it's down to bad geoemtry, from a dForce perspective, then adjsuting settings probably won't help. However, if it's due to the simulation not being able to diffuse the energy of the movement across the dprings (edges) of the mesh then things like this give it more time to work and may well help - though I've found it's usually necessary to restart DS after a dForce failure of any kind.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Yeah, that's why I added the last sentence. I haven't done much dforcing yet and only had 1 item to consistently exploded and this method worked for that item, so I figured it was worth a mention here.

• We definitely can use more dropped-clothes props, and or more clothes that have dropped as well as folded forms in their morphs.  Come to that, I wonder what it would take to make an add-on morph system that allows one to drop or fold clothes, that one would apply onto any arbitrary clothes in a similar manner to the way Fit Control is added to any arbitrary clothes.

And yeah, I have had all sorts of headaches making dropped-clothes out of regular clothes in dforce, too.

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287
    edited December 2020

Also, are you simulating multiple things at once to any extent? Or one at a time and Freezing their Simulations in Parameters >Simulation >Freeze Simulation?

Another thing that has the slightest chance of helping explosions (but not necessarily a realistic looking result) is maybe turning Off Self Collision in the Surfaces Tab with the Garment Selected in the Scene Tab?

I'm also guessing you've tried each of the Collision Mode Settings (Good, Better, Best) in the Simulation Tab?

Post edited by Phatmartino on