3D printing with Daz Studio (any updates?)

So the last thread i saw was from nearly 2 years ago, and rather than necro a dead thread, I thought i would ask the community here if there have been any advances on using Daz models (particularly Gen 8) for 3D printing, and if so, what the recommended procedure was for doing so.

Anyone able to advise me or point me in the direction of good information would be greatly appriciated

Comments

• Well, there has been this https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/456176/3d-print-questions-differences-in-slicer-software-cost-of-printer#latest about the general selection of a printer. 

Regards,

Richard.

• Looked it over. lots of talk of printers. (Mine's a Creality Ender 3 pro) but not much on how to get figures to actually print.  I'm looking more for the process from Daz to finished model.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I don't recall seeing any tutorials per say, probably because printing is only for personal use, not commercial so it's figure it our as you go.

There is the game print plugin to have that copmpany print it for you or send you the .STL file, but they haven't been to active ;lately.

• yeam most recent version of gameprint seems to be 2 years old now. and their website seems sluggish

• There will never be a general procedure. That is not how 3d printing works. Daz models are too variable to even begin saying what might be needed to prepare one for printing. You have to learn by trial and error. There are lots of tutorials on the basics but there will never be a "follow these steps and every Daz model will print" plan.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2020

Whilst printing the base character posed is not so difficult, printing clothing and especially hair is a nightmare. As you know, the object to be printed must be "manifold", a single mesh. Genesis characters are not made from a single mesh. A lot of 3d clothing items are made of multiple pieces that are not fused in to a single mesh; buttons, straps, belts etc. Hair is even worse for printing; often being made of many small strands or ribbons which are rarely all a single mesh.

Kenshaw is probably right, it is a lot of work to convert a typical 3d character with clothes and hair in to a printable object, but the first step is to make the individual parts manifold and then fuse them together to make a single manifold object. That will most likely require a lot of polygon by polygon error correction so it is a good idea to make your objects as high poly as possible to begin with so the errors caused by joining meshes are as small as possible. Further, the details of the individual steps will depend on the software you use. Good luck.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Yeah all of my reading is showing exactly that. that there is a lot of work involved.

I shall perservere and hopefully figure out a solution.