Is not enough RAM may cause black screen?

Hey I have problem with DAZ. When rendering my screen goes black and fans turn on 100%. I get PC to service for testing and they say that GPU and PSU are fine. My suspision is not enough RAM. Because I try to render room scene with 3 Genesis 8 characters and I have 12 GB RAM and GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB. Black screen happen like one minute od two when rendering. I monitored everything with GPU Z and it says that system memory usage is 9 GB so its very close to my limit? Strange is also that sometimes I have Black screen after boot my PC. This is very rare but it sometimes happen. What do you think it might be? Because I'm running out od options here.

Comments

• Probably not, unless you are also out of drive space.

Black screen usually means your video driver has crashed or your GPU over heated and the card itself has crashed.

Is you driver reasonably recent? What does GPU-Z say your GPU temp is when this happens? No matter what when was the last time you dusted out the inside of your PC?

• I bought this GPU like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and everything is clean inside. I have the newest studio driver . My card temp. when render just before the Black screen, was 65-70C. I think that's normal?
  • ppaawweell336 said:

I bought this GPU like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and everything is clean inside. I have the newest studio driver . My card temp. when render just before the Black screen, was 65-70C. I think that's normal?

Yes, that's fine. Check the power connections to make sure they're properly seated.

Also verify that your boot drive is not out of space. 

• novastridernovastrider Posts: 208
    edited December 2020

How is your computer dealing with demanding videogames? Because this could also point to a faulty videocard.

Post edited by novastrider on
  • ppaawweell336 said:

I bought this GPU like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and everything is clean inside. I have the newest studio driver . My card temp. when render just before the Black screen, was 65-70C. I think that's normal?

Yes, that's fine. Check the power connections to make sure they're properly seated.

Also verify that your boot drive is not out of space. 

I get this PC to service and they check there if everything is properly conected. Also I have space on both od my drives. I don't really Play games on this PC but in the service store they tested this on demanding games and no black screen. Also I must say this happens not only when PC is rendering or do something demanding, but just now I had leave my PC on, and go to the kitchen and when I get back - black screen and no signal. PC still on but black screen. So this is happening really randomly. I forget pointing out that this started happening when I get new GPU and PSU.
  • It sounds very much like the GPU is faulty but I cannot verify that remotely. Why the "service" did not verify that I'm unclear on.

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

I was getting a black screen when I rendered recently. The scene looked OK in iRay Preview, but as soon as I rendered it, I would get a black screen and the render would finish in seconds. I finally figured out that...

I was using a room and my camera was embeded in the wall. This particular room was one solid square so there was no way to hide a wall. I had the manuver the camera around until it was inside the room. This might not be your problem since you say the fans run 100%. I don't think mine did that. But I just thought I mention it as something to check.You never know.

Have you tried rendering with just a figure. Something simple and does that work?

• novastridernovastrider Posts: 208
    edited December 2020

This is definitely pointing towards a faulty videocard pp. It's quite possible they aren't finding anything, because faulty doesnt always mean clearly broken: it can just be a lil bit corrupted or a tiny error that starts slow at random in a few weeks it might get more and more frequent as it starts breaking down. It's important to start checking your windows errorlogs, they are prolly slowly filling with red marks you can use as proof. You say this was a new card: did you check if it wasnt a Refurbished one? Those can be crap.

Post edited by novastrider on
  • ppaawweell336ppaawweell336 Posts: 21
    edited December 2020
    I was ordering a new card. I don't think they can lie about that? How can I check if this was refurbished? You might be right. They tested it for 40 minutes on demanding games at ultra quality and they say to me that they not had any black screen. I will buy a completly new PC anyway. New motherboard, CPU, more RAM, and new SSD over the old HDD. I was gonna do that anyway but not that early. There are still possibility that my old drivers was not uninstall correctly? Maybe I should completly reinstall my system. What do you think? If nothing of that gonna help I will return my GPU. EDIT: I forget mention that I have critical error on my Windows Log: Kernel-Power. But it doesnt happen in the same time as the black screen. The time on this is different.
    Post edited by ppaawweell336 on
  • Get DDU and do a a full uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps before doing anything more extreme.

• Just done that. Now I will leave PC on, and update later if any black screen appeared.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

In this thread, you can see how useful those "services" can be...

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/449416/iray-preview-pc-reboot/p1

edited December 2020
    PerttiA said:

So on his case faulty was the PSU. After uninstalled everything with DDU I left my PC on for 2h and did couple of renders, as for now - no black screens. So let's hope this was the case. EDIT: Just when I posted it I launch my PC again and gues what - black screen 2 minutes after launch EDIT 2: I left my PC on with this Black screen, and after I think 5 minutes normal screen appeard. But it was for like 10 seconds, after that black screen again. Maybe I should mantion also, after I changed PSU and GPU, my HDD started making strange sound when I launch PC. I really don't know how to describe it. This is not beep, but something like "robotic" or machine like sound. Anyway this sound was not there before I replaced my GPU and PSU.
  • ppaawweell336 said

Maybe I should mantion also, after I changed PSU and GPU, my HDD started making strange sound when I launch PC. I really don't know how to describe it. This is not beep, but something like "robotic" or machine like sound. Anyway this sound was not there before I replaced my GPU and PSU.

Back up your HDD IMMEDIATELY! The sound could signal an impending failure. Even if it isn't, having a current backup will save you TONS of grief when (not "if," "when") your drive does fail.

• ppaawweell336 said

Maybe I should mantion also, after I changed PSU and GPU, my HDD started making strange sound when I launch PC. I really don't know how to describe it. This is not beep, but something like "robotic" or machine like sound. Anyway this sound was not there before I replaced my GPU and PSU.

Back up your HDD IMMEDIATELY! The sound could signal an impending failure. Even if it isn't, having a current backup will save you TONS of grief when (not "if," "when") your drive does fail.

I know , I will do that today. But why my HDD would do that after I changed GPU and PSU?
  • Check the event viewer. Something serious is going on.

• I only have one critical error and this is Kernel-Power. I looked on the internet about this and they said this error may appeard when you disable PC the wrong way like disabling power at the back off the psu or do hard reset, and I do that alot recently due to this black screen crashes.
    edited December 2020
    There seems to be not other optionsl than replace every component on the PC beside my new PSU and GPU. If this Black screen problem will continue then I will return and replaced PSU first if that's not gonna help I will do the same with the GPU. This will cost alot of money but I have no clue what to do anymore. If you have any suggestions please post it, because now it's christmas and new year so I must wait with that
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

ppaawweell336 said:

PerttiA said:

So on his case faulty was the PSU. After uninstalled everything with DDU I left my PC on for 2h and did couple of renders, as for now - no black screens. So let's hope this was the case. EDIT: Just when I posted it I launch my PC again and gues what - black screen 2 minutes after launch EDIT 2: I left my PC on with this Black screen, and after I think 5 minutes normal screen appeard. But it was for like 10 seconds, after that black screen again. Maybe I should mantion also, after I changed PSU and GPU, my HDD started making strange sound when I launch PC. I really don't know how to describe it. This is not beep, but something like "robotic" or machine like sound. Anyway this sound was not there before I replaced my GPU and PSU.

You missed the point... They also had "services" check their computers, they used games to strain their computers without having problems and they ran test programs that told everything was fine, except for one test program that did produce the same problem as they had with DS.

If the HD (Is it Western Digital?) sounds like circular saw when starting up, backup at once and replace.

• ppaawweell336 said:

There seems to be not other optionsl than replace every component on the PC beside my new PSU and GPU. If this Black screen problem will continue then I will return and replaced PSU first if that's not gonna help I will do the same with the GPU. This will cost alot of money but I have no clue what to do anymore. If you have any suggestions please post it, because now it's christmas and new year so I must wait with that

No. You really need to take it to a better tech. The odds are that the new PSU or GPU are faulty.