Cannot remove some assets with DIM

I am trying to remose some assets with DIM.

All my items have been installed with DIM and some are properly removed. But several cannot be removed. No error messsage in DIM log (please, please; please; daz, do an effort and add error messages...), the assets appear as uninstalled in DIM; but the files are still there, DS can use them, etc.

I tried to reinstall them with DIM; I checked the file path, and tried to reuninstall them, but no way, the files are still present.

I have moved my content directory to another drive some weeks ago and this may explain the problem.

I did a copy preserving permissions, and file permissions seem correct. I can create, modify and destroy a file or directory.

Nevertheless, I suspect it is a permissions problem. But a weird one as I have no problem to add a product with DIM and some items can be properly uninstalled (but most cannot).

I can remove the assets manually, but do you have an idea to fix the problem in a more permanent way?

Comments

• If you didn't update the manifst files that tell DIM what it has installed, and where, then it will try removing the files in their old location and ignore the new location. When you reisntall it will note that the files are duplicates of the ones that are already theer and, when you uninstall, it will carefully leave those duplicates in place. This is by design, to stop DIM from accidentally breaking other products which have shared files with the product being removed.

• TogireTogire Posts: 408

Thanks. This would indeed explain all the problems. Probably the assets that can be removed have been installed after the move.

I did not update the manifest files and to be honest I do not know how to do that. I just searched the forum and the daz documentation but found nothing. Do you have a pointer?

• It's probably too late now, but if you still have some original installations that you haven't tried unisntalling and reinstalling you can select them in the Installed tab of Install Manager, right-cick, and use the option to reinstall all selected using the current path.

I had a copy of the old files and the DIM DB file, and I have been able to restore properly them.

I used the reinstall feature of DIM. It seems to work and is very simple to use.

Many thanks for the tip.

Indeed, DIM is smarter than I thought. But why isn't there any decent doc on it (and not only for DIM)? Why?

I know the existence of these pages and I have read them rapidly.

And it is *not* decent doc.

The UI doc is very basic. There is nothing, for instance, about reinstall: What is does precisely, when is it required, when is it possible to do a reinstall, etc. Instead I learn that pushing the "help" button brings me to this page... The different entries have all many "TODOs" listed; for instance the "installed page" has a TODO about "the context menu and its various actions"... Too bad there is so many actions in the context menu (including reinstall).

And the reference doc is very useful, but only if you intend to generate a manifest file.

Documentation is the main problem with daz. DIM exists for several years and the "TODOs" should have been done already. (and it is even worse for D|S).

Documentation is replaced by the forum and its competent and obliging users...