pc, not daz question. Computer shutting down

kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I have a technical question even though it doesn't relate to Daz. My wife's computer has now turned itself off 3 times in the past 2 days. Normally I would look at hardware or heat as a culprit, but this is different. This isn't the normal "PC just shuts off", it actually goes through the whole shutdown process of closing apps first, then shutting down. Trying to search this has yet to provide anything useful since 99% of the results are sudden power-offs and I can't seem to find that 1% that would relate to what's happening here. Any help would be appreciated.

*edit to exand on title*

Post edited by kaotkbliss on

Comments

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109
    edited December 2020

There are some programs like back up software that have an option to shut down the computer when the process has completed. I use Macrium Reflect and I've seen that option among its settings.Could you have checked such an setting in one of your programs? I believe Nero has that option somewhere too.

Post edited by Kev914 on
  • DafaDafa Posts: 97

I had an older computer that did the same, it shuts off unexpectedly or it would go through a normal shut down by itself...but this was on a Windows 7. I never fixed the issue, I figured it was time for a new computer anyway. But, it seems that an application is shutting down your computer or someone remotely is shutting down the computer. You can access the Event Viewer and see which application scheduled a shutdown at what time.

• As stated above event viewer might give you some insight. However nothing should be causing a shutdown with no notification at all. If event viewer does not provide a useful answer run a complete virus scan, preferably a pre boot one, and a full malware scan as well.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

The only backup she currently has is the built-in windows backup to copy specified folders to another hard drive. She hasn't installed any new software but I did forget about the even viewer. I will take a look and see if it says anything. Thanks guys!

Yikes. I think the cause is from one of the poissible issues shown in event viewer. One being a "The Application-Specific Permission Settings do not Grant Local Activation Permission for the COM Server Application" error and the other, more likely being bad blocks found on the hard drive :( 

I could have sworn I replaced her hard drive when I did her motherboard, CPU, RAM and power supply. Guess not as it wasn't in my order history.

Looks like I need to replace that asap, maybe with an m2 drive for her.

• Bad blocks aren't uncommon on a HDD. You can run DSKCHK to fix them. If they have just occurred it could have been the issue, I guess.

The other issue should just be a warning. I have hundreds of those in my log. It's some improperly setup service but it doesn't seem to cause any issues I just ignore it.

Yeah, while she was at work today I ran chkdsk /f /r  I don't remember how old her HDD is, but it's not one of the parts I replaced with the latest upgrade. We'll see if her PC shuts itself down again in the next few days while I get ready to replace it with the much faster M2.

and I did see that most of the time the permission warning could just be ignored, but occasionally it could cause problems depending which process is getting the error.