Can I delete a Ps file? In this case Horror from the Deep.

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

I am trying to free up space on my hard drive and I noticed that the largest installed products in DIM are the Horror from the Deep creature and textures.

https://www.daz3d.com/horror-from-the-deep (Ps install is 920 MB)

https://www.daz3d.com/horror-from-the-deep-the-brood (Ps install is 1.8 GB)

These Ps installs combined are almost 3 GB, which is a lot of space being used on my drive if they are not necessary.

I was hoping I can delete the Ps versions since I don't use Poser, but I have read that sometimes an install for DS needs the Ps install too.

Does anyone know if I can delete the Ps install for these products?

Post edited by vonHobo on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

I don't own those products, but it looks like there's a full DS and a full Ps installer, so you don't need the Ps versions.  However, they probably use the same textures, so the space savings may not be that great.  How big are the DS installers?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Uninstall them if you need the room.  I uninstalled all mine and have them hidden in DIM.  Worst possible thing that can happen is that you'll have to reinstall them for the time you need them in a render, but that's really unlikely to be necessary.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

Fixmypcmike said:

I don't own those products, but it looks like there's a full DS and a full Ps installer, so you don't need the Ps versions.  However, they probably use the same textures, so the space savings may not be that great.  How big are the DS installers?

Looks like they are 1.1 GB (textures) and 594.3 MB figure installers.

edited December 2020

Thank you for the advice. they are now Deleted and hidden! 

I also deleted Bamboo Megapak Ps, which was the second largest Ps install.

As you can see, they work just fine without the Ps files.

I just wish I had checked the box in DIM to only install DAZ products from the start.

Now I'm going to see which other Ps installs can be deleted, which will be trial and error I suppose. I have over a thousand products. sad

bamboomagapack.png
    669 x 677 - 889K
    horrorfromdeep.png
    669 x 677 - 759K
    Post edited by vonHobo on

One last question.

To prevent Ps files from being installed, do I just uncheck Poser 9+ in the DIM > Advanced Settings > Downloads tab?

edited December 2020

von Hobo said:

One last question.

To prevent Ps files from being installed, do I just uncheck Poser 9+ in the DIM > Advanced Settings > Downloads tab?

Uncheck Poser<9 and older versions of DS (4.0 and earlier), as many products have .duf versions for DS4.5+ and Poser versions for earlier versions of DS.  This only affects the "Ready to Download" tab; if they were already downloaded and are sitting in the Downloads folder then they'll show up in "Ready to Install".

To find other Poser versions that aren't needed you could filter by the DS4.5+ tag: select everything in the Installed tab, filter by the DS4.5+ tag, and unselect everything with the DS4.5+ tag.  Then remove the filter and only the non-DS4.5+ packages will be selected.  However, there are products that are mis-tagged, so review the list before mass-uninstalling.  If you sort by product id, you should see an unchecked DS version for each checked package.  If you backup the zips to an external drive you can easily reinstall anything that you discover you do need.

ETA: Products for other software will also be checked, so you'll want to review those as well. For example, brushes for Photoshop (or other 2D software) won't be tagged for DS4,5+
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Fixmypcmike said:

von Hobo said:

One last question.

Uncheck Poser<9 and older versions of DS (4.0 and earlier), as many products have .duf versions for DS4.5+ and Poser versions for earlier versions of DS.  This only affects the "Ready to Download" tab; if they were already downloaded and are sitting in the Downloads folder then they'll show up in "Ready to Install".

To find other Poser versions that aren't needed you could filter by the DS4.5+ tag: select everything in the Installed tab, filter by the DS4.5+ tag, and unselect everything with the DS4.5+ tag.  Then remove the filter and only the non-DS4.5+ packages will be selected.  However, there are products that are mis-tagged, so review the list before mass-uninstalling.  If you sort by product id, you should see an unchecked DS version for each checked package.  If you backup the zips to an external drive you can easily reinstall anything that you discover you do need.

ETA: Products for other software will also be checked, so you'll want to review those as well. For example, brushes for Photoshop (or other 2D software) won't be tagged for DS4,5+

Poser (<9) and older versions of DAZ Studio are already in the unchecked state, by default I assume. 

Should I go ahead and uncheck Poser 9+ ??? ... see my screenshot of the settings window.

Or would it be simpler just to hide the Ps versions that come with any newly purchased products?

I'm so afraid to mess with anything. surprise

Untitled-1.jpg
    627 x 883 - 208K

Yes, looks like you just need to uncheck Poser 9+ and DSON Importer for Poser

Fixmypcmike said:

Yes, looks like you just need to uncheck Poser 9+ and DSON Importer for Poser

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!