dForce Hair/Fur: Advice Needed

I just invested in a number of Rawart's animal products (Bearclan, Ape World, etc) and I'm having a lot of trouble with the hair/fur causing DS to crash during the render.  I just updgraded to a pretty solid new PC and have had almost no problems since jumping back into DS, but I'm struggling with the dForce animal hair/fur.

With the BearClan for example. I can load just the base figure, run the dForce simulation and render -- no problems.  But as soon as I add other elements to the scene (clothing, background objects, etc), I can pretty much guarrantee a crash at render.  I'm assuming the hair/fur is taxing my system.  Is there anything I can do, adjustments I can make?  In the product description for BearClan, it mentions that you can adjust the fur density--how is that done?

My system:
Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor                3.59 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Running with a Nividia GForce 2060

Comments

• bishboschbishbosch Posts: 47
    edited December 2020

Having the same problem right now (with Alessandro_AM's beautiful Gorilla). I have good computer specs but the fur is overloading my scene.

Post edited by bishbosch on
  • It's a little frustrating, this is the second thread I've posted here regarding dForce fur with no responses.  I'm hoping that it's not a reflection of these problems being beyond any reasonable solutions.

• So I did some googling and poked around in the only settings I've found and reduced the number on the line tessellation sides setting.  This did allow for a much quicker render.  I added a piece of clothing and managed to get through a render without crashing.  Can I assume that this setting is essentially adjusting the hair/fur density?  I'm not seeing a marked reduction in the fur quality when I reduce the number so I wasn't sure.

Sorry for my newbie-ness here.  I just returned to DS after a couple years away, so I'm espeically lacking in the area of dForce and SBH.  If someone could just confirm I'm on the right track it would be helpful.

• You can also reduce the number of hairs and increase their thickness to compensate, though that will of course affect the way the hair looks.

• Richard Haseltine said:

You can also reduce the number of hairs and increase their thickness to compensate, though that will of course affect the way the hair looks.

Thanks for the response, Richard.  Where exactly do I find the settings for the number of hairs and thickness you mention?

• GeoffreyHawkins said:

Richard Haseltine said:

You can also reduce the number of hairs and increase their thickness to compensate, though that will of course affect the way the hair looks.

Thanks for the response, Richard.  Where exactly do I find the settings for the number of hairs and thickness you mention?

In the Surfaces pane - sorry, I was forgetting that little detail while posting.