Modifying Mesh of Pre-Bought Clothing Assets?

Is it possible to modify the mesh/UV of pre-bought clothing assets for Genesis-style characters, and if so, how would one go about doing so?

For instance, I have this hat for Genesis 8 Female (pictured below) and I would like to modify the mesh so that it has bunny ears rather than cat ears. I have some experience with 3D modeling in Blender, and as such I am confident in my abilities to modify the mesh as such, but what steps exactly does this process entail? Would I just export the mesh as an OBJ file, open it in Blender, modify the mesh as needed, setup the new UVs in a non-destructive manner, reimport and volla? Or are there any additonal steps or precautions I would have to take, such as setting up the reimported mesh so that it conforms to the Genesis 8 Female body or anything else like that, and if so, how would I go about doing this?

Keep in mind that while this is just one of the assets I would like to modify, I would like to make similar modifications to a number of different types of clothing for both Genesis 8 female and male in the near future, so while a hat might be simplier to modify than a shirt, for instance, do keep this in mind when giving your advice.

Also keep in mind that while I have some expereince with 3D modeling and such in Blender, that I have absolutely no experience with any sort of asset creation for any of the Genesis models, so be sure to go slow and explain absolutely everything as clearly as possible so that I, and others who might potentially be interested, don't get lost along the way :P

Thank you all a ton in advance for the advice!

Sporty Chic Hat

sportychic.png
1664 x 1529 - 1M

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I hope someone will be along in a whie to help you.

In the meantime I will just ask   Is this purely for your own use?   The Daz EULA doesn't allow redistribution of modified content.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Sickleyield posted this tutorial on using Blender to create clothing morphs.  Blender and Daz have changed, but the basics haven't.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,049
    edited December 2020

I believe you can also use meshgrabber to do this

I would use the Hexagon bridge myself and softselect which is like Blender's proportional editing

the advantage is when you send it back to DAZ studio if you have not altered the number of vertices it will create a morph by default 

you actually also can redistribute a saved morph

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on