Daz Studio keeps eating up RAM...

I've been running on 24GB of RAM for about a year now. Whenever I use Genesis 8 (alone) or create a large scene with Genesis 2 or 3 my RAM usually didn't go past 20GB. For black friday I bought another 8GB or RAM now all of a sudden whenever I use a Genesis 8 (alone) she's using 26GB of RAM? WTH??

Nothing change from yesterday when I had 24GB to today when I have 32GB??

I feel if I add 70GB of RAM, Daz will start using 65GB all of a sudden.

Post edited by marksinister_0f3a44cacc on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Even your previous figures sound large...

I can make a scene with 2 G8 figures and the necessary architecture, props and lighting easily under 8GB:s RAM consumption, which has been doubled when preparing for render.

Although, when I upgraged RAM from 32GB to 64GB, I did notice that a heavy scene that previously resulted in overall RAM consumpion of 24GB (out of 32) used 26GB with 64GB:s - In this case there is some overhead from the OS and other programs (maybe around 2-3GB:s) as I didn't check how much the scene increased RAM consumption when opened.

• Just a thought, but if you have your pagefile size set to windows automatically managing it then it may have changed upon installing more physical RAM. More specifically, it may have gotten smaller and in turn your PC is using more physical RAM rather than virtual RAM since there is more physical RAM available now.

• edited December 2020

Yeah, I do put a lot of clothing objects and morphs on my characters... I was hoping when I added the extra RAM it would've given me that extra space to work with. But I guess it wasn't much help. Maybe I should go back into my G8 characters and look for morph duplicates.

Post edited by marksinister_0f3a44cacc on