Desert Queen Hair Simulation Errors

I have been getting lots of errors when I try to simulate Desert Queen hair.  My log files say this:

2020-11-29 21:15:11.550 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(3083): ERROR: clEnqueueNDRangeKernel (-4)

2020-11-29 21:15:11.886 Total Simulation Time: 2.90 seconds

Can anyone interpret this or suggest some troubleshooting tips?

Comments

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779

I couldn't get it to work either:

2020-11-29 21:43:58.915 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(426): Using device: TITAN Xp
    2020-11-29 21:54:01.737 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(3293): ERROR: clFinish (-36)
    2020-11-29 21:54:01.960 Total Simulation Time: 10 minutes 5.32 seconds

Maybe a warning but DAZStudio displays this:

That's the G8F basic female with the hair added and nothing else, then simulated from->to the memorized pose over 1s (i.e. the same as the default DAZStudio settings but using an animation).  The failure is at 0.2s, after the failure it is impossible for me to render even frame 0; DAZStudio uses about 12GByte of memory and an Iray render attempt runs out of memory.

I gave up and used the dForce Classic Long Hair instead.  I guess I could plonk the crown on that too and it would probably work but the Desert Queen does not.  Maybe I should file a bug report but I've seen (and, indeed, bought) too many supposedly working dForce items that simply don't work; I simply follow the advice of my Scottish ancestors, "If at once you don't succeed, give up."

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@bueller1998_df4ca4b697 , @jbowler

Have either of you looked here? A wealth of information and trouble shooting.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/380281/chevybabe-s-dforce-sbh-hair-thread#latest

• You might want to look here, where the PA offers some advice https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/436117/desert-queen-hair

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,247

Hey guys! Could you give me some more information? Are you using the reg version or the low res version of this hair?

• I am using the regular version of the hair..  I am going to test the sugestions above.  Gonna test the low res version also.  Thanks for the comments.

edited December 2020

You might want to look here, where the PA offers some advice https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/436117/desert-queen-hair

That's the "LoRez" version; the only difference between the regular and "LoRez" is that chevybabe25 reduced the PS Hairs as detailed in the thread, but I think they're missing the real bug.  I'm still investigating because a bare sim with the original PS Hairs and a high FPS (to find out what is going on) actually hasn't failed yet but has slowed to a crawl 75% of the way through; I'm four hours in so far and my TitanXP GPU has been at 100% load the whole time!  As they suggested I suspect it is the result of changed dForce kernels with the new ones trying to solve an intractible mathematical problem rather than just giving up (the problem about fitting elephants and giraffes into a mini.)

I'll try to remember to post in that thread when I'm done.  bueller1998_df4ca4b697 could try to reduce the collision offset on all the surfaces to 0; that's my next step.

Post edited by jbowler on
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,247

@jbowler  Just wondering if you have made any progress with your findings?

chevybabe25 said:

@jbowler  Just wondering if you have made any progress with your findings?

@chevybabe25 I started looking at it but got distracted by the G8 load time issues (plus doing real rendering ;-)  The HiRez version seems to start off with collision offsets at the root, but I haven't verified this.  I suspect (again, hypothesis) that the very roots of the hair are too close together and the previous dForce versions couldn't handle this so the simulation just stopped (possibly silently).  The latest dForce is much more robust, I know this from other scenes, particularly ones with long hair, where the dForce simulation seemed to stop before and now completes (e.g. some scenes with dForce Classic Long Hair).

The answer may be as simple as turning off "self collide"; Keicy Short Hair comes set this way (but with a script, of all things, to turn it on!)  The other is the one you mentioned in the other thread; reducing the PS Hairs.  It also doesn't make much sense to me that there is a whole hair surface with a high PS Hairs than has an opacity of 0!  Those hairs do participate in the simulation.