Collision, smoothing, layering clothes slows the computer right down

So I've found out how to layer custom made clothing so a tank top tucks into a pair of bike shorts for example. And I have the colour and fabric all where I want it.............

BUT...........now, just the simple process of selecting a limb and posing it is agonizingly slow.

Do I need to upgrade my computer, graphics card, CPU or whatever?

Or will "baking" the collisions/colours etc make a difference?

Comments

• Colors don't matter.

However collision and smoothing iterations do. Every time you pose something those calculations have to be done again. The higher you set the number the more times it has to be done, the better the results as well. Upgrading your CPU would speed things up, but not knowing what you have means I can't say if it would make a meaningful difference.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Rufus Coppertop

As @kenshaw011267 says, but I would add that if you only have 4GB or 8GB of RAM and are spooling to disk often, then more RAM would also help.

• I actually have 32 GB of RAM and once a collision and smoothing thingy is done, even changing a facial expression which does not even remotely involve the collision modifier is agonizingly slow.

And to add to the problem, there is still poke through which just won't go away.

• Any posing updates the base geometry (there is only one piece of geometry, which belongs to the figure node) and so requires the geometry-rlated tasks, such as a Smoothing Modifier, to run again. I would temporarily disable smoothing while posing - I have a script here that will do the job https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwgw8ckbk46ysif/ToggleSmoothing.zip?dl=0

• thanks everyone. And thanks Richard, I'll give your script a try.