How to force Daz Studio to locate "missing files"

anaximanes_2000anaximanes_2000 Posts: 342

I have read things on how to change paths, how to edit the paths, how to uninstall and reinstall and so on.  However, once in a blue moon and almost unequivocally on other Daz retail site models, I will encounter an issue where the person set the file path name incorrectly.  It maybe a typo or they mislabel a folder, whatever.  And, after retracing their steps, I eventually can find whatever they did wrong and fix it.  However, in the name of efficiency, I want to know the actual "in program" Daz shortcut to locate a file.  Sometimes, when Daz loads these files onto my scenes, it will actually pop up and give me the option to locate the files- sometimes not.  In which menu or what button combination does one use to literally force Daz to open a "locate file" window so that I can easily just select the supposed "missing files" that are actually there and move on with my rendering?  I am certain there must be a way to do this and thanks for your help!

Example:  I just now loaded a model into the scene.  In “smart content” I can right click the picture and “browse to file location” to find the “model” that it puts into the scene.  The thing appears as all gray cubes.  It says it is missing files- but did not give the option to locate.  I can see where the missing files are- they are not missing.  In this case looking it over, I believe the creator has accidentally mislabeled the file path by one folder at the end.  I CAN fix this through Windows.  I do not want to.  Right now, with this model selected, what do I press to force Daz to open the “locate files” window, so I can just select this and go?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Images give you a prompt to find the missing file, other asset types (in .dsf format) don't. I'm not aware of any way to change this, unfortunately. One reason may be that if the base .dsf file is misplaced then it's likely some or all of the other parts (UVs, morphs, etc.) will also be misplaced - and not necessarily in the same way - and the others are not usually called by name but loaded as DS scans the hierarchy. That would make accurately finding the base file and then its dependencies much more complex than finding a missing map.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 282

Hi, all. There are multiple threads on this broad topic, none quite my issue, so this one seems as good as any.

I'm getting a "missing file" reference to a .duf that I moved when I was tidying up my working files.  The problem is that I have no idea why that .duf is being called for in the scene I'm opening and when I look at the uncompressed scene file there is no reference whatever to the missing file or anything I can surmise that would be referenceing it. I'm presuming that the reference is buried somewhere inside some node or some other asset I load, but when I look in the Property Heirarchy for each top level node in the scene (which appears to list every asset that is within that node), I cannot find any reference to the asset in the missing .duf

Anybody got any suggestions as to how I can track down this missing file reference?

One thing I will try is to replace the missing file to where it used to be (so hopefully it will then be found) and see if I can see anything different after doing that.

Cheers, Lx

• What file is missing, or doesn't it say?

It gives me the file name and path, Richard. That's how I know the history (that I moved the file) and how I can work around. What is stumping me is knowing why that file is even being referenced and where to locate the reference (either in the .dufs etc or from within the opened scene) so that I can either update or remove that reference.

Thoughts or suggestions?  Lx

• What is the full missing file message from the log?

This is a screenshot of the message box on opening. I've moved that file to a different path as part of my tidy up, so I can "recover" if needed but I don't know why I have that file anywhere in the scene and I can't find any asset that I think would be part of it, in order to remove the reference

Screenshot (296).png
    1173 x 941 - 119K
  • Does the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File) have more?

edited November 2022

Okay, Richard, that is yeilding something to follow up. It appears there are some morphs which are somehow "parented" to something in that file. I will explore futher.

Thanks for the pointer. Cheers, Lx

And just to close the loop, It seems I've somehow messed up these morphs on my G3M figure and that is the source of the messge. Now I know what's happening I can go fix it. Many thanks. Lx

Post edited by stitlown on