Filament update Broke Nvida Iray preview

After the new Filament update 4.14.0.8 my Nvida Iray engine preview no longer works.

First off I'm really enjoying the Filament system, I understand It's going though some Growthing pains right now. It has wonderful potention for workflow and productivity. That being said, let's start getting those kinks out of the system by sharing our experiences. I Played around with Filament, tryed a few quick animations, previews, sets. Nothing fancy, just getting my feet wet, but noticed Iray mat colors looked "off" almosted fadded or washed out in the filament preview, but fine in texture shaded preview. I just chalked it up to weird lighting or perhaps the nature of the filament previewer after that I did the following...

Things I have tired so far:

-swapped render settings to viewport / Filament (PBR)  + Nvidia Iray preview -- Iray image pixiles never load image stays greyed out awaiting color, but rotatable/repositionable (as if still in filament but w/o color)

-Swapped render settings back to Nvida / Nvidia Iray preview  + restart pc + reload program + reload refresh Iray Character-- same result as above.

-Attempted Spot Render Tool while in Nvidia Engine + Texture shaded preview / filament (PBR)--popup window calculating colors pops up along w/window of image, but image never forms, after 3 to 10 seconds calculating window closes and image stays white. all I can do is close it. Moving scene around clears the  spot render preview.

-Attempted Spot Render Tool while in Viewport + Texture shaded preview / filament (PBR)--same as above.

-Attempted to Render image while in  Texture shaded / Nvidia /Filament (PBR) preview while in Nvidia engine   Result was image instantly completed not high quality rendered image (assumed filament) and saveable it also matched the Filament preview window.

Attached is the dxdiag file of my PC.  Below is General Info of my pc:

PC Win10 home 64bit

AMD RYZEN 7 1700 8CORE 16CPU 3.0GZ

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

64GIG RAM

DirectX 12

Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated. I had waited a few days at first thinking there'd be a patch (or two or there) but nothing so far. Let me know what I can do to help resolve this issue!

Thank you for your time

Sincerely,

Jacob

txt
txt
DxDiag.txt

Comments

• You appear to have a driver from late 2019 - that is almost certainly too old for the version of Iray included with DS 4.14.0.x. If you open the nVidia Control Panel (right-click on desktop) you need at least 451.06.

• I have version 440.97  Geforce GTX 1050 Ti I'll try to find an update.

•  

You appear to have a driver from late 2019 - that is almost certainly too old for the version of Iray included with DS 4.14.0.x. If you open the nVidia Control Panel (right-click on desktop) you need at least 451.06.

ok found website https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx# and updated to version 457.30 Iray works now!  Thank you for the tip!

Sidenote question: When using Iray preview with  Filament engine should I swap back to Iray engine first or does it matter?  Should I swap to the Iray engine before I click the render button if I want the final product to be an Iray rendered image or will leaving it in Iray preview be enough when I click the button to trigger the desired effect (while in viewport engine)?

• Cheetahka said:

You appear to have a driver from late 2019 - that is almost certainly too old for the version of Iray included with DS 4.14.0.x. If you open the nVidia Control Panel (right-click on desktop) you need at least 451.06.

ok found website https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx# and updated to version 457.30 Iray works now!  Thank you for the tip!

Sidenote question: When using Iray preview with  Filament engine should I swap back to Iray engine first or does it matter?  Should I swap to the Iray engine before I click the render button if I want the final product to be an Iray rendered image or will leaving it in Iray preview be enough when I click the button to trigger the desired effect (while in viewport engine)?

Filament isn't the saem as Iray, if you mean Iray renders with Filament previews then yes, I'd switch back to Texture Shaded as people have reported losing enough GPU memory to Filament that Iray drops back to CPU (or stops, depending on settings) where it would have worked without the Filament preview.

• Thank you for all the input!