Filament Preview crashes DAZ

Anyway to disable or delete the filament plug in from DAZ Studio?

Every time I try to use it, DAZ Studio ends immediately. No error, nothing.

I'm fine with the way things used to be.

Do I just avoid using it in the Preview, or can I free up resources by removing Filament entirely?

Comments

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

Also, I apolagize if this has already been answered in another thread. 

I find it very difficult to search on topics in the forum. It gives results that don't even pertain to the topic typed in most times.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

It's safer to disable the plugin to avoid accidentally clicking it, but I don't recall seeing reports of Filament crashing people's systems, so it might be helpful to know what your system specs are.

Sevrin said:

It's safer to disable the plugin to avoid accidentally clicking it, but I don't recall seeing reports of Filament crashing people's systems, so it might be helpful to know what your system specs are.

Alienware Aurora R7 Gaming Desktop running Window 10 64 bit

It came with 16 GB RAM which I upgraded to 32 GB

Intel Core i7, 3.20 GHz 3192 Mhz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Tried to figure out how to disable the plugin, but I cannot find it on the plug-in section.

Not sure how to disable.

• Can't you just not select it from the list of Drawstyles? However, I do see Filament DrawStyle in Help>About Installed Plug-ins - it's just after he FBX expoorter for me

Can't you just not select it from the list of Drawstyles? However, I do see Filament DrawStyle in Help>About Installed Plug-ins - it's just after he FBX expoorter for me

Thank you Richard. I could just not select it I suppose. 

• WarcatWarcat Posts: 112

I am experiencing that problem as well.  I also have a 64GB or RAM and a GTX 1070 video card.  

Filament worked at first.

I am using the Studio driver and am changing to Game Ready driver.  Will see if that makes a difference.  I did purge my caches.  Will have to see if reseting the Daz3d settings will work too.

• WarcatWarcat Posts: 112

On a side note, resetting things (purging caches, etc) it DID allow me to render and use filament.  I also merged and updated the panels.  Once.  I rendered.  Moves stuff around.  Went to re-render and crash.  I was able to reopen a saved scene into filament.

I have not yet upgraded the drivers so I am using NVidia Studio Driver 457.30 (released 11/17/2020)

Reopened scene in Filament.  Changed from Filament to texture shading and was able to render.

Hope this helps.  Not sure what the magic setting was though.

edited November 2020
    Warcat said:

I am experiencing that problem as well.  I also have a 64GB or RAM and a GTX 1070 video card.  

Filament worked at first.

I am using the Studio driver and am changing to Game Ready driver.  Will see if that makes a difference.  I did purge my caches.  Will have to see if reseting the Daz3d settings will work too.

It worked for me too, at first. But now it just takes down DAZ Studio. 

It would be a nice viewport tool if it actually worked now.

And I have not changed any settings to cause this. I don't even know how. 

Post edited by vonHobo on
    Warcat said:

On a side note, resetting things (purging caches, etc) it DID allow me to render and use filament.  I also merged and updated the panels.  Once.  I rendered.  Moves stuff around.  Went to re-render and crash.  I was able to reopen a saved scene into filament.

I have not yet upgraded the drivers so I am using NVidia Studio Driver 457.30 (released 11/17/2020)

Reopened scene in Filament.  Changed from Filament to texture shading and was able to render.

Hope this helps.  Not sure what the magic setting was though.

Thank you. But I'm not this adventurous. And I don't think it should be this delicate.

In any case, if a setting causes Filament preview to crash DAZ Studio, it should do so "gracefully" with an informative error message. sad