TCC Mode

I have a Titan RTX that I use for rendering and 960 that is use to drive my monitor. In Daz I leave the 960 unchecked and the Titan RTX checked for rendering.

Was looking at my Daz log at the end of the last week and there was a notice about my Titan RTX being in WDDM mode and that I should set it to TCC mode to improve performance. I had never really thought about it, but I decided since the log was nice enough to give me the command to turn it on, I figured I'd give it a shot and see.

I did not find it useful in the slightest. Working around in the daz viewport was slower than before, and there was sometimes a microsecond lag when clicking on things. Switching from main viewport to aux viewport where I had iray preview running would cause the main viewport to turn black for a second before loading up the iray preview mode, same when I switched back to the main viewport. This unto itself wasn't too bad, but the thing that eventually caused me to turn it off this morning is that every time my computer had been in sleep mode for awhile and I had Daz running before it went to sleep, everything in my computer slowed to a crawl when it woke back up. Daz, Chrome, file explorer, etc. So I turned it off this morning.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience or actually saw any real gains by using TCC mode?

Thanks.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,969

I tried it with my Titan Pascal and 1050ti, for just the Titan (like you after seeing the log message) and it stuffed it all up - the effect happening to both cards so I lost video out on the 1050!

• jbdiminniejbdiminnie Posts: 77
    edited November 2020

Normally the instructions I have seen online use a command line prompt to download and set the TCC driver for the Titan card.  Perhaps the script in Daz Studio is goofing this up and affecting the non-Titan card as well.  You may want to try manually setting up TCC mode (use a Google search to find the command line instructions) if you are interested.

For the OP--in your case where you have a Titan RTX you probably will not see any benefit of running TCC mode.  This mode loads an alternate driver for the Titan card and disables the display outputs of the card.  The main benefit of this driver is that now you can use all of the card's VRAM in Daz Studio for rendering, since WDDM drivers reserve some of the VRAM for the system/displays to use (I believe it used to be 10% of the card's VRAM but the most recent Windows 10 updates reduced this to around 900 MB irregardless of the card's VRAM size).  Since a Titan RTX has 24 GB of VRAM, it is highly unlikely you are going to run into scenes requiring that much VRAM and so you will not really benefit from TCC mode.  This mode is useful for earlier Titan cards like the Titan X (Maxwell/Pascal) or Titan Xp (Pascal) which have 12 GB VRAM--it is possible there that one could have a scene where running TCC mode enables the user to cram that last bit of memory onto the card (say a scene running 11.5 GB VRAM which will drop to CPU mode with the WDDM driver but will stay on the Titan card with the TCC driver).

Bear in mind that if you want to use TCC mode you need to have your system displays running off another card or your internal CPU graphics adapter if it has one or else you will lose your displays.

Edit:  this thread has instructions how to enable TCC drivers on the command line--look on page 11 of the thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6108162/#Comment_6108162

Post edited by jbdiminnie on
  • Normally the instructions I have seen online use a command line prompt to download and set the TCC driver for the Titan card.  Perhaps the script in Daz Studio is goofing this up and affecting the non-Titan card as well.  You may want to try manually setting up TCC mode (use a Google search to find the command line instructions) if you are interested.

For the OP--in your case where you have a Titan RTX you probably will not see any benefit of running TCC mode.  This mode loads an alternate driver for the Titan card and disables the display outputs of the card.  The main benefit of this driver is that now you can use all of the card's VRAM in Daz Studio for rendering, since WDDM drivers reserve some of the VRAM for the system/displays to use (I believe it used to be 10% of the card's VRAM but the most recent Windows 10 updates reduced this to around 900 MB irregardless of the card's VRAM size).  Since a Titan RTX has 24 GB of VRAM, it is highly unlikely you are going to run into scenes requiring that much VRAM and so you will not really benefit from TCC mode.  This mode is useful for earlier Titan cards like the Titan X (Maxwell/Pascal) or Titan Xp (Pascal) which have 12 GB VRAM--it is possible there that one could have a scene where running TCC mode enables the user to cram that last bit of memory onto the card (say a scene running 11.5 GB VRAM which will drop to CPU mode with the WDDM driver but will stay on the Titan card with the TCC driver).

Bear in mind that if you want to use TCC mode you need to have your system displays running off another card or your internal CPU graphics adapter if it has one or else you will lose your displays.

Edit:  this thread has instructions how to enable TCC drivers on the command line--look on page 11 of the thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6108162/#Comment_6108162

Thank you for the info. The command to turn it on/off is the same command, you have to do it as a command line prompt command with admin rights. It's just a 0 or a 1 to turn it on/off. Nice to know it's just a memory usage issue and not like a 10% performance boost or something. And yes, at 24gb, it's really damn hard to get to that level of usage :S

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 779

I have a Titan RTX that I use for rendering and 960 that is use to drive my monitor. In Daz I leave the 960 unchecked and the Titan RTX checked for rendering.

Was looking at my Daz log at the end of the last week and there was a notice about my Titan RTX being in WDDM mode and that I should set it to TCC mode to improve performance. I had never really thought about it, but I decided since the log was nice enough to give me the command to turn it on, I figured I'd give it a shot and see.

I did not find it useful in the slightest. Working around in the daz viewport was slower than before, and there was sometimes a microsecond lag when clicking on things. Switching from main viewport to aux viewport where I had iray preview running would cause the main viewport to turn black for a second before loading up the iray preview mode, same when I switched back to the main viewport. This unto itself wasn't too bad, but the thing that eventually caused me to turn it off this morning is that every time my computer had been in sleep mode for awhile and I had Daz running before it went to sleep, everything in my computer slowed to a crawl when it woke back up. Daz, Chrome, file explorer, etc. So I turned it off this morning.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience or actually saw any real gains by using TCC mode?

Thanks.

I turn it on every now and then for testing but turn it off almost immediately because dForce simulations do not work in TCC mode; I don't know why but they always fall back to the CPU and go dog slow.  Messages indicate that OpenCL is not supported in TCC mode.  I'm using a headless TitanXP with a motherboard Intel GPU to support the monitor.  Studio and Game Ready drivers seem to have the same behavior.  FWIW TCC mode simply doesn't support Windows, so if it is turned off on both GPU cards Windows will fall back to the onboard graphics, no onboard graphics, no Windows.

• OpenCL isn't supported in TCC? That's weird.

The major reason for TCC is to disdable video outputs on the card so that the OS doesn't try to use it for video output. That way all the VRAM and compute on the card is available for other purposes.

TCC cannot be enabled on non Titan/Quadro's so if you're getting a message about turning it on for a 1050ti something isn't right and it shouldn't work regardless.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,969

OpenCL isn't supported in TCC? That's weird.

The major reason for TCC is to disdable video outputs on the card so that the OS doesn't try to use it for video output. That way all the VRAM and compute on the card is available for other purposes.

TCC cannot be enabled on non Titan/Quadro's so if you're getting a message about turning it on for a 1050ti something isn't right and it shouldn't work regardless.

Yeah, funny that - used it on the Titan and it also took out the 1050, such is life!

• jbowler said:

I turn it on every now and then for testing but turn it off almost immediately because dForce simulations do not work in TCC mode; I don't know why but they always fall back to the CPU and go dog slow.  Messages indicate that OpenCL is not supported in TCC mode.  I'm using a headless TitanXP with a motherboard Intel GPU to support the monitor.  Studio and Game Ready drivers seem to have the same behavior.  FWIW TCC mode simply doesn't support Windows, so if it is turned off on both GPU cards Windows will fall back to the onboard graphics, no onboard graphics, no Windows.

I didn't even get as far as trying dforce. Glad to know that would have been nerfed too. Thank you for that.