Worn Leather Iray Shaders

I'm looking for some help with the product Worn Rough Leather Iray Shaders.  I assumed it would be a simple click-and-load process but that appears to not be the case.  I'm relatively new to Iray shaders but everything I've used so far has pretty much been a click-and-load, so this one has me stumped.

When I load a leather preset, it does not match the icon photo, appearing much darker.  The product notes mention a geoshell process, but I had no luck following those instructions.  I experimented with the various utility and effects presets but still could not achieve the results shown in store product photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,203

I don't have that product.

But when you say that it appears much darker, is it then in an actual render?

And for everything - the appearance is dependant on the lightning.

Regarding the geoshell, then I would not suggest that, unless you are after some special effect.

What type of object are you applying it to?

• GeoffreyHawkinsGeoffreyHawkins Posts: 255
    edited November 2020

Thanks for responding.

It is darker in the actual render.  And the actual texture source file jpg is darker as well.  It is not a result of the lighting in the scene (which was a simple Iray Outdoor preset) as nothing else in the scene is being impacted.  Because all the source jpgs appear darker than the product/icon photos, I assumed there was a process to achieve the end result that I just wasn't getting, due to my lack of Iray experience.

The object I am working on is the SWM Steam Walker Machine, an older product with an original texture set that is rather rough in regard to Iray.  I have applied various iray metal presets (all just simple point-and-clicks) to it with great success, but immediately had trouble when attempting to apply the leather to cockpit seat.

Post edited by GeoffreyHawkins on
  • The screenshot I attached draws a line between the menu icon and jpg source file.

DAZ Forum 001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I don't have the product, But, if you click on the texture in the base color slot in the surfaces editor, you can browse to the textures and either pick one that is closer to what you want, or lighten the existing texture in photoshop or gimp and save a copy and use it instead, I do it often.

• I don't have the product, But, if you click on the texture in the base color slot in the surfaces editor, you can browse to the textures and either pick one that is closer to what you want, or lighten the existing texture in photoshop or gimp and save a copy and use it instead, I do it often.

Thanks for the workaround advice, but I don't really want a workaround; I want to use the product to get the very specific results its product page images suggested.  Either the product is broken (which I think is rather unlikely), or there is something I'm just not understanding (quite likely).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,924

I don't own those either, but I doubt that you are doing anything wrong. I've had really bad luck with PC+ shaders and I stopped buying them. I have a set of PC+ rock shaders where many of the thumbnail images bear no resemblance to the texture that get applied. It looks like those leather shaders have the same issue. Perhaps the promo images and thumbnails were rendered in extremely bright light. If they don't work for your application, I suggest you return the product for a refund, if you've had it less than 30 days. 

• barbult said:

I don't own those either, but I doubt that you are doing anything wrong. I've had really bad luck with PC+ shaders and I stopped buying them. I have a set of PC+ rock shaders where many of the thumbnail images bear no resemblance to the texture that get applied. It looks like those leather shaders have the same issue. Perhaps the promo images and thumbnails were rendered in extremely bright light. If they don't work for your application, I suggest you return the product for a refund, if you've had it less than 30 days. 

Just bought it today.  I will likely take your advice and return it.  Thanks for the feedback.

• I wonder if the thumbnails were shot under a high ambient light with no other scene lights...a well-intentioned effort at giving an unbiased view of the texture, but yeah, would definitely not match what you were going to get in your own scenes with any kind of focused light work. 

Either that, or there's a gamma value mismatch between the PA's scene and yours, which is an old gremlin who just loves to hang out in multi-stage render pipelines with more than one contributor.  I've often wondered if DAZ would have been better off mandating linear gamma for PA's producing surfacing assets, so that clients who use 2.2 gamma would consistently know what to do about this kind of thing.

-3W