Why is deleting a character so long?

Deleting a g8 char takes centuries on my computer, and I wonder why.

What I do:

- restart the computer (just to be sure)

- launch daz studio and nothing else (just to be sure)

- open a new scene and create a g8 female  (and nothing else, just to be sure)

- select the char and hit <del> (or right-click>delete)

- now I can go to prepare a coffee.

The deletion will happen, but it takes 20-30mn...

This seems *extremely* long to me. Deleting a char is a simple task that is mostly a graph traversal with memory release and it is largely simpler than, say,  posing, updating display, etc. And creating a new scene (and deleting the char), that roughly performs the same task, is almost instant.

I wonder if it is a "normal" behavior or if it is just me. I checked the log, but there is not error message.

I have ~30 g8F chars and it has an impact on the char creation time (it takes ~3-4mn). But I cannot understand how it can have any impact char deletion.

Anybody has an idea? (running D[S 4.12 if this matters)

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

No, there's something wrong.  Deleting and undeleting a G8 character should only take up to a few seconds.

• TogireTogire Posts: 408

So, this is an abnormal behavior, but what can I do?

Obviously the problem deos not come for DS and it must be from an installed asset. But

1/ how can an asset induce such a weird behavior when suppressing a standard g8F?

2/ how can I find the faulty asset? I rescanned my log and I absolutely have no errors. I have some warnings from dzcloudtaskmanager about a persistent connection, but I doubt it can be related; I have exactly the same  messages with a g2F that is suppressed in a few second.

• what are your system specs, especially system ram?

How much ram is daz using when you load a character?

Are there any errors in the log file?

Does this happen with any other base meshes?

Does this happen with primitives?

Does this happen with other assets.

While 20-30 min is rather extreme, part of the deletion process adds to the stack of "undo".

It can sometimes require more time to cache the data for that so you can undo it if necessary.

I can get some rather long delete times, upto a few minutes, but usually that's a fully clothed character, with a complex hair, and a more complete scene.

• TogireTogire Posts: 408

Here are some informations

Hardware is recent with 8 proc and 16G of RAM. System is win10.

Used memory by DS after loading a char 2.3G

No errors in the log file. When I launch DS, I have a bunch of warnings. Most concern daz connect (that I do not use). Some concern morphs or expression packages. When I delete the char, only the usual daz connect warnings.

Here is an example of the daz connect message

2020-11-22 01:14:38.235 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Got an unknown command from the persistent connection: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

and of the morph loading warning

2020-11-22 01:08:20.843 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(6615): Could not find output property for formula: Genesis8Female:/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/SickleYield2018/SY200/PBMSY200WristsThickness.dsf#PHMSY200WristsThickness?value in file : /data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%208/Female/Morphs/SickleYield2018/SY200/CTRLSY200Skinny.dsf

But as I said, this happens with a bare char without any morph dialed.

It also hapens with g8M, but g3 or older are OK. And of course, it concerns all g8F chars, not only the generic one.

Other item deletion (including primitives and even very large envs) is reasonnably fast (1-20s).

This really seems to be related to g8, and is probably caused by an asset. I really do not understand how there can be an interaction between an asset (even a morph package) and deletion problems for a generic char, but I will try to uninstall my assets.

• efron_24efron_24 Posts: 474

it does not take minutes here

but it has indeed slowed down ...

Deleting takes several seconds now (more than it was at 4.12)

and also after saving a render it is about 30 seconds before you can continue with an image..

4.14 is not realy something that makes me happy.. but i do not seem to be able to get back to 4.12

• I have found that deleting is no problem, but try purging memory after deleting a g8...better wait a few minutes cause this will hang my DAZ forever if I don't wait. Not sure what the issue is on your end, perhaps a ram issue if that hasn't been suggested, or maybe an HD issue (hard drive?).