Updating the DSON Importer for Poser 12: A Question for the Daz Developers

Poser 12, just recently released from Bondware, has upgraded from Python 2 to Python 3.  This breaks many old add-on scripts, including the DSON Importer.  As someone who relies on the Importer to use Genesis 8 in Poser, this is a disappointment, and I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way.  It is possible to get a posable, morphable, and subdivided Genesis+ figure into Poser 12 using a work-around that I detail here, but without a functional "Transfer Active Morphs" script, fitting clothes to morphed characters becomes much less straightforward, and I doubt any preset poses will work either.

I have some programming background, and I've been researching ways to either convert or emulate Python 2 code in Python 3.  Although scripts seem fairly easy to convert, I suspect that the core of the incompatibility lies in the "dzdsonimporter" PYD file, which I believe is a compiled/interpreted module.  This means I would likely need access to the source code in order to make the requisite adjustments.

As far as I can tell, Daz has largely abandoned the DSON Importer and generally shown much less interest in Poser compatibility for several years.  It is only through the work of independent creators like Willdial on Renderosity that any of us have even been able to use Genesis 3 or 8 in Poser 11.  Given this, I can't imagine that Daz plans to profit much if at all from further DSON Importer sales.  With that in mind, I would like to ask developers if they might be willing to open up and/or license the source code somehow so that I and/or others may tinker with it and potentially expand the market for Genesis 8.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

You're not likely to get an official answer about this in the forums. I suggest you open a support ticket to ask Daz directly.