Can you help with importing high res figures?

Hello wonderful Daz community.  Forgive me, I am sure that my problem is one with an answer, I can not be the only person ever to have had this issue, but I can’t find anything on the net that helps. I am a Toy Designer of twenty five years standing.  I often use Daz to create base meshes for ZBrush, it’s one-way traffic though, once I’ve exported to ZBrush I don’t go the other way, I’ve never needed to.  However, I have recently worked on a character that I want to pose in a large variety of positions so it would make sense to do this in Daz.

I exported a Genesis 8 female figure from Daz and re-sculpted it to an insanely high level of detail. I did not alter the base mesh, merely subdivided it (7 times!) to support the extra detail.  Obviously, I can import the model back into Daz, as a morph but only at the lowest subdivision level. If I export the full resolution model and copy the rigging from the parent figure, all the weighting is lost (presumably because the polygon count is different).

I cannot save out a normal map to apply the detail to the figure in Daz Studio because ZBrush does not support multiple maps in the way Daz uses them.  I don’t care how it’s achieved, please help; how do I import a high-resolution model into Daz Studio, rig it and pose it WITHOUT rigging the whole thing from scratch.  Is it possible?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

Unfortunately only Daz PAs have access to the tools needed to create HD morphs.

You could try transfering the rigging from the base figure with transfer utility (in the same way you would create the base rigging for clothes), but there's no guarantee it will work well.

• Leana said:

Unfortunately only Daz PAs have access to the tools needed to create HD morphs.

You could try transfering the rigging from the base figure with transfer utility (in the same way you would create the base rigging for clothes), but there's no guarantee it will work well.

Thanks for replying.  I can get the rigging to transfer with the transfer utility but although the pose controls will control individual parts of the figure the weighting is removed so it can be posed but tares around the joint that moves.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I can't of a solution either that keeps the weighting intact. Why do you need such a high poly model in the first place?

• I can't of a solution either that keeps the weighting intact. Why do you need such a high poly model in the first place?

I'm not sure 'need' comes into it, I 'want' to do it because I've sculpted the character down to the pores in the skin and want to maintain that level of detail in my renders.  I'm trying to achieve as close to photo realism as possible, it's kind of the opposite of what I have to do in my toy work, so for me it's a refreshing change!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@ed_53b5e4a3 " I'm trying to achieve as close to photo realism as possible"

Photo realism is going to be dominated by lighting and composition much more than polys. As a photographer for 45 years, I can say that skin pores are gernally rejected. 

• fastbike1 said:

@ed_53b5e4a3 " I'm trying to achieve as close to photo realism as possible"

Photo realism is going to be dominated by lighting and composition much more than polys. As a photographer for 45 years, I can say that skin pores are gernally rejected. 

Not if the focus of the composition is an extreme close up of the face and body. Lighting and the like are easily covered off, the problem of posing my high-resolution character, not so much.  I guess I'll have to either re-enter the weighting manually or manage posing 'the long way' in ZBrush.  It does surprise me that this isn't a thing that people want to do.