Multiple instances of Daz Studio

I have noticed an issue with the Daz Studio where I can no longer have multiple instances of the program running and no longer can. I regularly have complex scenes with multiple characters that require posing. Over 4 or 5 characters it does not like to make changes to the pose without severe lag. So I have to pose them seperately them merge them. I can no longer open more than one Daz instance. so I have to close the large scene (usually end the process manually in task manager after I close it), open a new one create the character(s), pose the character(s) if they are interactcing, save that as a scene, reopen the larger scene, wait ten minutes for it to fully load, then merge the other scene I just made, then rinse and repeat for all new characters. 

Does anyone know if it was a concious decision to make only one DAZ instance possible on a PC at a time or if this is a bug?

Comments

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 284

ok, but forgive me if I don't know how to get multiple instances back.

• Joe827Joe827 Posts: 225
    edited November 2020
    Coryllon said:

It is no longer allowed,  I used to follow the same workflow as you.  The pose lag and load times you are seeing sound similar to what I used to experience.  So I feel for you.  Eventually, I upgraded my PC out of that situation, which I know isn't realistic for everyone.  I you are interested in my specs, let me know. 

Post edited by Joe827 on
  • CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 284
    Well it's something they need to bring back because yes, I can't upgrade my PC for a couple years.
  • Joe827 said:
    Coryllon said:

It is no longer allowed,  I used to follow the same workflow as you.  The pose lag and load times you are seeing sound similar to what I used to experience.  So I feel for you.  Eventually, I upgraded my PC out of that situation, which I know isn't realistic for everyone.  I you are interested in my specs, let me know. 

It is still possible. However the default behaviour is to only start a single instance. Richard linked to the post explaining the command line options you need to use to start a second or third instance. I sometimes even start four instances together.

Basically you start it like this: dazstudio.exe -instanceName DAZ#

You can make this also with a link in Windows as a handy shortcut.

You also may want to take a look in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/359146/does-4-12-1-16-allow-multiple-instances-of-studio/p9

For example on Windows I use a com

• Joe827Joe827 Posts: 225
    Coryllon said:
    It is still possible. 

Thank you for the correction.  I had heard this second-hand and did not read the official documentation like I should have.