Daz 4.14 Crash when using Iray [Solved]

GusMash3DGusMash3D Posts: 2

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has come across a solution to the crash when using the Iray renderer in viewport after updating to Daz 4.14.08 Pro.
Just to get this out of the way:

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • i9-10900k
  • GTX 1080
    • Driver Version: 457.30
  • 32GB RAM
  • (Windows/Drivers fully updated)
  • GPU Memory Usage doesn't get above 1GB (my 1080 has 8GB) before Daz crashes
  • CPU and RAM usage are both below 25% usage (haven't even spun up) before Daz Crashes
  • Rendering with just CPU crashes
  • Rendering with just the GPU crashes
  • Also have attempted a full Daz Studio 4.14 Re-install

This started for me once I updated to the newest version of Daz Studio 4.14.08
If I open older scenes that previously rendered fine in the viewport with the older versions, they are now crash when using Nvidia Iray preview.

Stand alone (popout render) version seems ok most of the time.

If I bring down the number of assets in the scene, it seems to render fine in the Viewport window.

Error Message:
DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "E:\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dll" at 0033:000000007A604526, mi_neuray_factory_deprecated()+6818566 byte(s)

The libneuray.dll file is on the older side from (10/1/2020) but I have no idea if it was supposed to be updated with 4.14 so I wont pretend that has anything do to with it, just an observation.

Any tips would be greatly appriciated. 
Having to render in the pop out version is ok, but slows the workflow down, and Filament isn't good enough to replace the Iray Render since it's not really made for that I don't think.
Filament is pretty cool for HDR lighting previews though.

Thanks

LibNeuray_Crash.PNG.jpg
531 x 510 - 103K
Post edited by GusMash3D on

Comments

• If renders are mostly OK and previews not you may want to compare Render Settings and Draw Settings - though you will need tio get the Viewport into Iray Preview, if only with an empty scene, to do that.

• AnkiAnki Posts: 31
    edited November 2020

I'm also getting a lot more crashes than the previous version using the iray preview. It always was the main reason for crashes. Now it's just more frequent.

Post edited by Anki on
  • I was having the same problems. Clear the simulation worked for me!

• Are you using Iray Section Planes? If so try enabling their capping in Render Settings.

edited November 2020

Thanks for answering so quickly guys.

No simulation in the scene, no section planes either.

I unchecked CPU under photoreal and interactive modes (in Advanced render settings - hardware) and it seems to be holding steady with the Iray preview active. (Maybe this will help others)

I just have to remember to recheck them before rendering.

Post edited by Anki on
  • using the CPU and the GPU to render can reduce render performance, possibly due to the CPU having to split its attention between managing the GPU and doing actual rendering, so unless you have tested and found otherwise you might want to leave the CPU unchecked anyway.

using the CPU and the GPU to render can reduce render performance, possibly due to the CPU having to split its attention between managing the GPU and doing actual rendering, so unless you have tested and found otherwise you might want to leave the CPU unchecked anyway.

After testing, it does feel faster rendering with just the GPU. I'll leave it unchecked from now on, like you said. Thanks again !

• GusMash3DGusMash3D Posts: 2
    edited November 2020

If renders are mostly OK and previews not you may want to compare Render Settings and Draw Settings - though you will need tio get the Viewport into Iray Preview, if only with an empty scene, to do that.

I tried setting both of these to default but I'm still getting constant crashing. I messed with page file sizes, like I saw in another post, no change. I reduced the number of objects in the scene, still crashes. Nothing has changed on my PC aside from the new version of Daz.
    It would be awesome if they had older versions available so people could roll back to working Daz versions while they work on bug fixes.
    I sent in a ticket hoping for an older version.

• GusMash3DGusMash3D Posts: 2
    edited November 2020

I think I may have found my culprit.

Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader for Iray
    https://www.daz3d.com/oso-blendy-two-layer-shader-for-iray

I had this shader in the scene on several objects. It was working fine prior to 4.14.08, but not now apparently.

Super easy to reproduce the crash:

1. Open a new Daz3D scene
    2. Create a 3D primitive (sphere)
    3. Turn on Viewport Iray Render
    4. Apply Oso Blendy shader to sphere

If anyone else is hitting a similar crash, I'd say to check your IRAY shaders, make sure it's not a shader causing the issue. Might be something with 4.14.08 causing some issues.
    Hopefully this will help others.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,907
    edited November 2020
    GusMash3D said:

I think I may have found my culprit.

Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader for Iray
    https://www.daz3d.com/oso-blendy-two-layer-shader-for-iray

I had this shader in the scene on several objects. It was working fine prior to 4.14.08, but not now apparently.

Super easy to reproduce the crash:

1. Open a new Daz3D scene
    2. Create a 3D primitive (sphere)
    3. Turn on Viewport Iray Render
    4. Apply Oso Blendy shader to sphere

If anyone else is hitting a similar crash, I'd say to check your IRAY shaders, make sure it's not a shader causing the issue. Might be something with 4.14.08 causing some issues.
    Hopefully this will help others.

Indeed, that is an issue I believe (possibly due to chnages in Shader Mixer) - it is an Iray bug fixed in 2020.1.2 http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_14_1_12

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • paul_ae567ab9paul_ae567ab9 Posts: 231
    edited February 2023

It appears this was NOT Solved. I am getting this same error in the latest version of DS. 4.21

I had built scene and was previewing lighting in iRay in viewport. I then tried to switch back to texture shading to make some changes then DS simply crashed.  I was then not even able to restart and load that scene. I finaly got it back by turning off GPU and using only CPU and setting viewport to texture and resaving.

But I am not able to render without getting the same crash.

This post suggested it was solved in a less recent update than I am using but it appears it was not resolved.

--

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dll" at 0033:00000000E619F7E2, mi_neuray_factory_deprecated()+2960418 byte(s)

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dll" at 0033:00000000E619F7E2, mi_neuray_factory_deprecated()+2960418 byte(s)

Post edited by paul_ae567ab9 on
  • paul_ae567ab9 said:

It appears this was NOT Solved. I am getting this same error in the latest version of DS. 4.21

I had built scene and was previewing lighting in iRay in viewport. I then tried to switch back to texture shading to make some changes then DS simply crashed.  I was then not even able to restart and load that scene. I finaly got it back by turning off GPU and using only CPU and setting viewport to texture and resaving.

But I am not able to render without getting the same crash.

This post suggested it was solved in a less recent update than I am using but it appears it was not resolved.

--

Which is an Iray crash, but not the same one in all probability. Please start a new thread, with more details of your system and what happens to trigger the crash (assumign it wasn't a one-off) and attaching the crash report from the dialogue that gave that message.

• I have another scene. One prop two figures. It always begins when I select Nvidia in the viewport to preview lighting. Once that is done the file will never render again.

DS must write something to the .duf file to cause this because if I open same file on a totally different PC it does same thing.

• Most likely it is some kind of content issue triggering an Iray issue/limitation.

• diggykddiggykd Posts: 2
    edited March 17
    It seems I have a problem with Nvidia iray previewing where I could get out of that mode and I'm currently running the latest version 4.22x and I've been at this for at least a few days... I literally just discovered that just simply putting your computer to sleep for a minute or two got the preview mode window to pop up again. I haven't heard of anyone having this issue but I hope this was helpful to someone else experiencing this problem.
    Post edited by diggykd on