How to make Daz shut down properly?

When I close Daz, it closes the interface but Daz continues to run - I can see it in Task Manager and that's the only way to close it.

Very inelegant.

Is there some setting I can change to fix this?

Comments

• When you close Daz, it has to release the memory and other resources it was using - which could be considerable if it was working with big scenes and renders. This can take some minutes. If you watch it in Task Manager you'll see it finish of its own accord in time, if you're willing to wait for it.

• Or you can create a script file (a text file) called, e.G. DazKill.ps1, save it on the desktop and run it wit right click Run With Power Shell.We are talking about Windows 10.

The content shoul be simply

$process = Get-Process DAZStudio
    $process.Kill()

In my experience I could wait forever, it never finishes for itself. But this script cleans it in a microsecond. It might be related to the Octane plugin, which makes things worse currently.

• Force quitting is not a good idea, and certainly shouldn't be done as a matter of course.

If this is a regular occurence, and if 4.14.0.8 doesn't fix it, then please try running this script http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start (download using the link above the code blcok, then drag that into the DS Viewport) to disable add-on plug-ins, then restart DS an see if it then closes correctly in future sessions. If it does you can use Help>About Installed plug ins to reenable the disabled plug-ins, closing and restarting DS to let the chnage take affect, until you find the culprit.

• Thank you

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,378

Force quitting is not a good idea, and certainly shouldn't be done as a matter of course.

If this is a regular occurence, and if 4.14.0.8 doesn't fix it, then please try running this script http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start (download using the link above the code blcok, then drag that into the DS Viewport) to disable add-on plug-ins, then restart DS an see if it then closes correctly in future sessions. If it does you can use Help>About Installed plug ins to reenable the disabled plug-ins, closing and restarting DS to let the chnage take affect, until you find the culprit.

If disabling plugins has no effect, ticket time?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited November 2020

I think it would be nice if DAZ Studio keep like a icon on the root window stating it was waiting up to 3 minutes for Windows to signal it has released application resources. At least though the Windows / osX / Linux Notification Center be used if sending such a message in a QT dialogue would defeat the whole purpose of the 3 minute wait.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • nemesis10 said:

Force quitting is not a good idea, and certainly shouldn't be done as a matter of course.

If disabling plugins has no effect, ticket time?

The discussion in the thread for 4.14.0.8 seems to have turned up some promising leads.

• I have this problem as well. I guess this seems to be an occurring problem for this version of Studio. Glad I'm not the only one that has this issue. 

• jnwggsjnwggs Posts: 89
    edited November 2020

I have both the public release, and the beta icons on my desktop. I've found that this problem is almost random in that "sometimes" it does not occur. The symptom of it occuring is when you close Daz and try to open it again, it won't. So I used to go to task manager and kill it and then I could start Daz again. Then, one day I discovered that all I had to do if one won't open is to open the other. So if Daz regular doesn't open because it's running in the background, I open the beta version instead. You can even open the beta and then close it right away and then the regular one will open. It seems to hang sometimes for a very long time, chugging away at who knows what. And by the way, this only started happening when I upgraded from 4.12 tp 4.14, so there is certainly some kind of issue going on here... and I'm using 4.14.0.8 since I only just discovered yesterday that there had been an upgrade. I'm wondering if Filament has anything to do with this? I love playing with it so I'm trying it everytime I fire up Daz.

One thing I've noticed about this new release is that Iray is way faster if you've previously tried a scene with filament. From there on Iray renders right away instead of that long period where it is black and white.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jnwggs said:

I have both the public release, and the beta icons on my desktop. I've found that this problem is almost random in that "sometimes" it does not occur. The symptom of it occuring is when you close Daz and try to open it again, it won't. So I used to go to task manager and kill it and then I could start Daz again. Then, one day I discovered that all I had to do if one won't open is to open the other. So if Daz regular doesn't open because it's running in the background, I open the beta version instead. You can even open the beta and then close it right away and then the regular one will open. It seems to hang sometimes for a very long time, chugging away at who knows what. And by the way, this only started happening when I upgraded from 4.12 tp 4.14, so there is certainly some kind of issue going on here... and I'm using 4.14.0.8 since I only just discovered yesterday that there had been an upgrade. I'm wondering if Filament has anything to do with this? I love playing with it so I'm trying it everytime I fire up Daz.

DS will not, without assigning a different session name, allow two isntances of the same release channel to run - which is why you can't start the General Release while a General Release is closing but can start a Public Build, and vice versa. I doubt that openign and closing the other release channel is actually unsticking anything, since they should be separate in all respects bar access to the CMS, and that is designed for multiple connections.

jnwggs said:

One thing I've noticed about this new release is that Iray is way faster if you've previously tried a scene with filament. From there on Iray renders right away instead of that long period where it is black and white.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 776

It's a known problem, well, actually two known problems.  I've posted several times about it; the solution depends on the problem, if the task manager reports the Daz process at 0%, or thereabouts, this is the solution:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6211526#Comment_6211526

That is Daz Request #349543, it has been around for a long time in the (4.12) beta; I reported it on Oct 15.  The other problem; Daz failing to exit for an extended period of time and running full speed in the task manager, has been around even longer, while it is reported to be "plug ins" (i.e. someone else is at fault) the balance of evidence I read on the forums leads me to the conclusion that it's down to DAZStudio just taking a long time to exit.

I've never had a problem killing the beast while it is in either state.

• jbowler said:

It's a known problem, well, actually two known problems.  I've posted several times about it; the solution depends on the problem, if the task manager reports the Daz process at 0%, or thereabouts, this is the solution:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6211526#Comment_6211526

That is Daz Request #349543, it has been around for a long time in the (4.12) beta; I reported it on Oct 15.  The other problem; Daz failing to exit for an extended period of time and running full speed in the task manager, has been around even longer, while it is reported to be "plug ins" (i.e. someone else is at fault) the balance of evidence I read on the forums leads me to the conclusion that it's down to DAZStudio just taking a long time to exit.

I've never had a problem killing the beast while it is in either state.

Hanging around with CPU activity is down to DS doing clean-up, plug-ins have not been blamed. They were suspected in the case of hanging around with no CPU activity, but it does now seem that the main cause of that is having the IPR Toolbar enabled in the Aux Viewport but not having the Aux Viewport open - the fix is to open the Aux Viewport and from its option menu (the lined button in the top corner or right-click the tab) turn off the IPR Toolbar.

• I just updated to 4.14 and it takes 3mins from when I exit DAZ until I can launch it again.
    Checking  my ...\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt file. I find relevant entries below.
    Looking at the timestamps its evident there is a timer of exactly 180secs is being used.

Never happened in my previous version 4.12 - clearly needs to be patched.

____

2020-11-18 11:05:32.083 Cleaning up Thread Pool...
    2020-11-18 11:08:32.084 Deleting Inverse Kinematics Manager...
    <other stuff>
    2020-11-18 11:08:32.558 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.14.0.8 exited ------------------

2020-11-18 11:12:39.954 Cleaning up Thread Pool...
    2020-11-18 11:15:39.955 Deleting Inverse Kinematics Manager...
    <other stuff>
    2020-11-18 11:16:22.597 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.14.0.8 exited ------------------

• I'm having this same issue, too. Daz shows in Task Manager for ages, with activity at 0%.  What exactly is an IP Toolbar again, and how do I turn it off?

• I'm having this same issue, too. Daz shows in Task Manager for ages, with activity at 0%.  What exactly is an IP Toolbar again, and how do I turn it off?

Window>Panes(Tabs)Aux Viewport. Click the lined button in the top corner or right-click the tab>uncheck IPR Toolbar. Close pane. DS should in future close cleanly (at least as far as this issue is concerned).

• nidude said:

I just updated to 4.14 and it takes 3mins from when I exit DAZ until I can launch it again.
    Checking  my ...\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt file. I find relevant entries below.
    Looking at the timestamps its evident there is a timer of exactly 180secs is being used.

Never happened in my previous version 4.12 - clearly needs to be patched.

____

2020-11-18 11:05:32.083 Cleaning up Thread Pool...
    2020-11-18 11:08:32.084 Deleting Inverse Kinematics Manager...
    <other stuff>
    2020-11-18 11:08:32.558 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.14.0.8 exited ------------------

2020-11-18 11:12:39.954 Cleaning up Thread Pool...
    2020-11-18 11:15:39.955 Deleting Inverse Kinematics Manager...
    <other stuff>
    2020-11-18 11:16:22.597 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.14.0.8 exited ------------------

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_14_0_8#4_14_0_4

There is a timeout for processes thata re not shutting down - it's a new feature. Because threads are now cut off if they do not respond in the three minute interval there is a risk of data loss, but it does stop DS fro hanging around waiting (note that teh issue above, with the IPR toolbar, was blocking before this point and so not affected by the timeout). In order to help in identifying problem processes additional diagnostic procedures are being added to DS.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,934
    edited November 2020

I'm having this same issue, too. Daz shows in Task Manager for ages, with activity at 0%.  What exactly is an IP Toolbar again, and how do I turn it off?

Window>Panes(Tabs)Aux Viewport. Click the lined button in the top corner or right-click the tab>uncheck IPR Toolbar. Close pane. DS should in future close cleanly (at least as far as this issue is concerned).

Okay, just did that and then exitted Daz.  Now I'm looking at Task Manager, and Daz Studio Application is still showing as running.

edit: Okay, it finally went away after a couple minutes.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

Okay, just did that and then exitted Daz.  Now I'm looking at Task Manager, and Daz Studio Application is still showing as running.

edit: Okay, it finally went away after a couple minutes.

Yes, this won't affect the time taken to shut down with CPU activity as DS clears up, now will it affect delays due to plug-ins, but it will address a major cause of DS hanging around with 0% CPU activity.

• Richard Haseltine said:

This still seems to be an issue. I wanted to ask, with respect, why should one not force quit the application?
    If I have opened some large scenes and done a lot of work, DS can take upwards of 5-10 minutes to close properly. So I am now in the habit of end tasking it. 
    Furthermore, if I have been working on a large scene, and want to start a new fresh document, it takes forever to close my existing scene (deleting items). Even once I open a new one, it bogs down as the memory cache doesn't seem to clear properly. 
    The best course of action seems to be to save your work, end task DS and open it again. 
    Please help me understand what is going on here. surprise 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Haven't found the reason or fix, but when it hangs, the last line in the log is "Deleting Viewport Manager"

Hanging;
    2021-07-06 23:08:01.363 Deleting Pane Manager...
    2021-07-06 23:08:01.465 Deleting Viewport Manager...

Successful;
    2021-07-02 00:06:26.689 Deleting Pane Manager...
    2021-07-02 00:06:26.696 Deleting Viewport Manager...
    2021-07-02 00:06:26.799 Performing cleanup...
    2021-07-02 00:06:26.808 Deleting Plugin Manager...
    2021-07-02 00:06:26.808 Deleting Application Settings Manager...
    2021-07-02 00:06:33.861 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.15.0.2 exited ------------------
    2021-07-02 00:06:33.861 ~

When it's hanging, it doesn't proceed on it's own, not even when DS has hours to finish exiting.

• Endlessdescent said:

Richard Haseltine said:

This still seems to be an issue. I wanted to ask, with respect, why should one not force quit the application?

Because there is a risk of corrupting settings or the database.

If I have opened some large scenes and done a lot of work, DS can take upwards of 5-10 minutes to close properly. So I am now in the habit of end tasking it. 
    Furthermore, if I have been working on a large scene, and want to start a new fresh document, it takes forever to close my existing scene (deleting items). Even once I open a new one, it bogs down as the memory cache doesn't seem to clear properly. 
    The best course of action seems to be to save your work, end task DS and open it again. 

You could launch a new instance - use the script to set up one or two extra icons for launching fresh isntances of DS Daz Studio Pro 4.12 - instances

Please help me understand what is going on here. surprise 

It potentially takes a long time for DS to clear out all the data from a complex scene cleanly. I'm not clear why it can't block delete the whole lot on closing, but it certainly can'y do that when starting a new scene.

• I am just forcing it to quit, if it mess up I just reinstall it, way better than waiting for it to finally understand that it needs to shut down.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

I may have stumbled on the cause for not shutting down...

I was wondering why the curling and length morphs for the G8F eyelashes were not sticking. Every other time I opened a scene, they had reverted to default.
    Started digging around in the G8F morph folders and found the morphs included amongst one characters own morphs.
    While searching for files I also found quite a lot of G8F/M base morphs included within other characters morph files.

Deleted all the unnecessary files and DS hasn't hung on shutdown for over a week.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

You pointed this out when I posted the video about how long it took Daz to release the Vram. By the way, this is why you have to wait before restarting DAZ. I rather not go in dismantling my files system without knowing which ones are safe which are not to be deleted.

You all can watch the video but I had sound problems. How Long Does It take Daz to release VRam? - Daz 3D Forums