SOLVED:Can't select Filament (PBR) in Viewport drop-down (grayed-out)

erock19erock19 Posts: 26

I just downloaded DS4.14 on my older laptop (8g RAM, Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000) and cannot choose the Filament option for the viewport. I am able to render with the engine set to Viewport, but it does exactly that: generating the image using the Texture Shaded preview, or if set to IRAY preview, renders without textures.  I haven't been able to locate any documntation on hardware requirements for Filament.  Just downloading DSv4.14 itself was difficult, since store links would just bring me to my product library, which did not show version4.14 at all.  I used search in DIM to find and install.  Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Post edited by erock19 on

Comments

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

Maybe check your Daz log file for any startup errors related to Filament.

• Thre's a video tutorial on the filament page.

Did you load the "nodes" ?(menu: create=> New Environment Option Node, Tonemapper options node, and Physically-Based Draw Options Node).

Those will allow you to modify settings (click on node in scene tab and adjust in parameters tab.

• erock19erock19 Posts: 26
    edited November 2020
    Seven193 said:

Maybe check your Daz log file for any startup errors related to Filament.

Thank you for suggesting the log, as I forget about it so often. It shows only one reference to Filament (drawstyle.dll) and no corresponding error.

Thre's a video tutorial on the filament page.

Did you load the "nodes" ?(menu: create=> New Environment Option Node, Tonemapper options node, and Physically-Based Draw Options Node).

Those will allow you to modify settings (click on node in scene tab and adjust in parameters tab.

I had watched the video and followed the instructions as shown. The version in the tutorial must be an earlier build since all 3 nodes had to be added manually in the video.  In the version I have the Tonemapping and Enviroment nodes are added automatically to the scene, but the PBDO node must be added as you described.  Whether the nodes are in the scene or not I still cannot select the Viewport style Filament as it remains grayed-out.  Thanks for the response though, I appreciate any feedback.

What really confuses me is that the option is there, but is grayed and unavailable.  It seems like some other component is missing or not supported. Very frustrating.

Post edited by erock19 on
  • I would suspect it's a GPU issue - I don't know what the version requirements are.

• I would suspect it's a GPU issue - I don't know what the version requirements are.

I'm guessing it might be something along those lines. Thanks for the response.  Is there any plan to release info on requirements? I'd really like to be able to take advantage of this great new feature I never knew I wanted!

• Fixed! At some point I must have turned off "Per Pixel Shading" . Turning it back on un-grayed the draw style in the drop down.  I'm glad it didn't end up a minimum requirement issue. Thanks to all for the responses!

• Glad it was ssimple. Apparently the main requirement is OpenGL 4.1.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

Thanks erock19 - YOU ROCK!- had the same problem and was about to give up.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,051
    edited November 2020

well this is odd

I had perpixel shading off and have been using  Filament 

putting it on definitely improved it though

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • You're welcome mrposer.  I'm glad I could help!

Sadly though, it seems even though I was able to get it selectable, it does not work on my machine.  The viewport never updates and looks no different than if it is set to Texture Shaded.

If the minimum requirement of OpenGL ver. is 4.1, my hardware seems locked to ver.4.0, despite the driver I was able to install goes up to ver. 4.3.  I'm not sure if there is any way around this, bit I'm not giving up just yet.  If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated.

Glad it was ssimple. Apparently the main requirement is OpenGL 4.1.

• erock19 said:

Fixed! At some point I must have turned off "Per Pixel Shading" . Turning it back on un-grayed the draw style in the drop down.  I'm glad it didn't end up a minimum requirement issue. Thanks to all for the responses!

Where's the "Per Pixel Shading" menu? I'm new at using DAZ Studio so I don't know much about it
  • BarbieDahlBarbieDahl Posts: 0
    edited November 2020
    erock19 said:

Fixed! At some point I must have turned off "Per Pixel Shading" . Turning it back on un-grayed the draw style in the drop down.  I'm glad it didn't end up a minimum requirement issue. Thanks to all for the responses!

Where's the "Per Pixel Shading" menu? I'm new at using DAZ Studio so I don't know much about it

In "Prefernces" than "Interface"

Mod Edit :- To fix the Quotes

Post edited by Chohole on
  • erock19 said:

In "Prefernces" than "Interface"

Mod Edit :- To fix the Quotes

Thank you, @BarbieDahl
  • But, why it's still not working? (The Filament Render still not working)