PSU failure/not adequate? Or possible other hardware issue?

So I am questioning needing a new PSU.  When I render in DS with both video cards and a fairly large scene my computer will just shut down and restart.  No error messages and nothing in the logs.  In the event log there is no debug error messages or anything prompting what might cause the shutdown.  For a long time i believed there was something glitching when my renders clicked over to CPU that was causing it but now im not so sure because this render I am working on is not dropping to CPU that I know of the restart is happening before it ever gets that far.  Now mind you this is sometimes even rendering out at 700x 500...  So now I have the GPU that has my display on it turned off to only use 1 card (I have 2 RTX 2060's)  and have so far been able to render at 1400 x 900 image.

So spec wise I have a Cosair cx750m PSU (other info in sig) and I know I checked with the power usage calculator before I added the 2nd card but I don't know for sure where it was from.  Last night when I threw my specs into the calculator at NewEgg it says I need at least 822.....  So is my PSU causing my shut downs?  I have ran mem check and other testing on the computer and no errors have been reported. And since we are on the subject of PSU's got any good suggestions because let me tell you the reviews are crap and theres not just a whole lot of options out there that I can afford at the voltage I need...

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Have you watched your temps while rendering? A part getting too hot can cause a restart like this as well

• 1) when was the last tiume you dusted out the box? That's the first place to go when you have this sort of issue.

2) have you checked that all the fans, in particular the CPU cooler fan, are working?

3) definitely get HWinfo or equivalent and check your temps during the render. something besides the PSU could be at fault.

4) However if you can render on 1 GPU but not both that does tend to indicate the issue is not enough power.

850W is not an awkward rating. There are lots of good PSU's. They may not be in your price range however. If you need cheap and good that may be pretty hard to find as that is getting out of the range where you'll find uncertified or bronze PSU's (pretty sure you'll even have trouble finding nonmodular ones at that rating). This was the cheapest I could quickly find:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/611997/-850-watt-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Here's something to try. 

Download and install MSI Afterburner.
    Run Afterburner

Do the following settings on both cards.
    Click the link between Power Limit and Temp. Limit to unlink the sliders.
    Move the Power Limit slider all the way to the left. (should be a number between 50 and 60%
    Hit Check Mark button to apply the settings.

Doing this will drop the power usage on your RTX 2060 cards from 160W each to under 100W each.

Run yor render with these settings and see if the computer still shuts down
    If stable then the issue is not enough power.  Could have to do with the way the 12v rails are set up.  Keep in mind that each of those RTX 2060 cards are trying to pull around 100w over the suplimental PCIe power connectors. (or more if they are factory overclocked)

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624
    edited November 2020
    JamesJAB said:

Here's something to try. 

Download and install MSI Afterburner.
    Run Afterburner

Do the following settings on both cards.
    Click the link between Power Limit and Temp. Limit to unlink the sliders.
    Move the Power Limit slider all the way to the left. (should be a number between 50 and 60%
    Hit Check Mark button to apply the settings.

Doing this will drop the power usage on your RTX 2060 cards from 160W each to under 100W each.

Run yor render with these settings and see if the computer still shuts down
    If stable then the issue is not enough power.  Could have to do with the way the 12v rails are set up.  Keep in mind that each of those RTX 2060 cards are trying to pull around 100w over the suplimental PCIe power connectors. (or more if they are factory overclocked)

This did not work and when the computer booted back up the values were set back to default in Afterburner is that normal? I did all the steps just like you said. If I turn the one card back off it will render but other cards causes the crash.....  Temp was at 52c when the crash happened...

So I decided to do a test run using only the GPU that has the display attached to see if it caused the crash.  It does not I can run either card alone and they render but if I use both cards together it crashes.......

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Yes that is normal for the settings to reset at reboot.  You can save your settings on each card with the little floppy disk icon

What motherboard and processor are you running.

Have you tried plugging the monitor into the secondary GPU and see if the computer runs stable and can render with just the card in the seccondary PCIe port?

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Wanted to post an update.  I purchased a 1000w PSU and installed today. So far everything running great.  Loaded up an previous scene that I could not render with both GPU checked and it rendered just fine with no issues.  Thank you all for helping!!