A question about Transparency Maps

Hello,

I have made a transparency map to use with Petipet's Car Ranger that hides the gas and brake pedals so that I can replace them with obj. files from another product. I did this is so that I can animate the pedals which are not separate from the main floor part in the original model. I plugged the transparency map into the cutout opacity channel and overall everything is working fine when I do a render, but I noticed that when I plugged in my transparency map parts of the floor disappear from view in the preview window. Everything looks as it should when I do a render, so it isn't much of a problem, but I am wondering why some floor parts would disappear in the preview window even though the trans map doesn't hide them, and they show up fine in a render?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

nabob21

Comments

• IIRC, It's an openGL issue.

In some cases you can over come this issue by changing your Preferences(f2)>Interface options. Switch to 'None' on Display optimization and adjust the slider to quality.

Be aware this will take more vram.

Doesn't always help, but best suggestion i can give you at the moment.

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 964

Thanks for the information DrunkMonkeyProductions. As I mentioned, everything renders fine so it is mainly a curiousity question and not really much of a problem, but it is good to have some understanding as to why this may be happening.

nabob21

• Oh, it can turn into a real problem, especially when trying to setup a scene.

Just had an issue with the lickalicious tongue geograph and the viktor long locks hair not playing well with each other.

The tongue was a mess of disappearing and reappearing polygons if the hair was in close proximity to the tongue, as it was due to the pose setup i was going for.

Had to turn the hair off just to see the ruddy thing and get it posed.

Just an fyi.

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 964

Thanks again for the heads up DrunkMonkeyProductions.

• Another way to have dealt with your original problem would have been to use the Geometry Editor to select and delete the polygons which comprise the two pedals. Then you won't have any transparency issues.

You could even have used it to select each pedal, delete the rest of the car, and save out the result as an obj - giving you the right pedals to add back into the car later.