Billboard issue - tilted?

Um, my billboard doesnt seem to be 100% camera facing - it seems slightly off?

whats that about?

billboard.JPG
1180 x 865 - 66K

Comments

• lilweep said:

Um, my billboard doesnt seem to be 100% camera facing - it seems slightly off?

whats that about?

Either it's not at 90 degrees or the camera view is tilted.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,398

okay, but how do you change rotation of a billboard?

Isnt the point of billboards that they lock to camera view?  I can't rotate it out of it's position to camera.

• Is it an actual billboard product? Even then, I don't think they dynamically update for the most part - if they did it would probably require using a specific camera.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,398

I was making the billboards with the billboard node plugin.  These face the viewport and automatically update.

I think the tilt is actually part of what makes it work to offset the perspective... come to think of it 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260
    edited November 2020

Billboard node plugin? hmm ... I make billboards creating planes. Use the dials on the Parameters tab to rotate them as desired.

eta: Apparently not all editions of D/S have a billboard node. Found a tutorial using 4.10 that has it. By 4.12 it is no longer there under the Create button. {in case anybody else was looking for it too}

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

When you create the Billboard with the Plugin it loads facing the camera in the Viewport whether that is Perspective view, Default Camera or one of your own. If you select the Billboard and go to the Parameters Tab you will see that the Rotate sliders are locked and under the Constraints Tab the Point At shows the Camera it is pointing at. Change the Camera view in the viewport to another camera and the Point At  changes automatically. In this way the Billboard is always orientated towards the camera being used.