Daz Studio [program] and external harddrives

W10, gaming laptop computer.

I have D/S 4.12 [not the latest] installed on the computer.

Is it possible [as in safe to] install D/S 4.12 [whatever the latest edition is] to an external harddrive. Only using one D/S open at a time ;-)

And, my intention is to put "all" the content [stuff that normally would be installed in Documents on the C drive] over to that external drive as well.

So if having 2 D/S programs installed is possible, then having both programs guided to look to the same external folder for all this delightful content, this is possible yes?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

Having two different versions of DS installed at the same time can cause problems as they'll be sharing the technical files in "AppData". Installing one if them on an external drive won't change that. Only exception is having a general release and a beta.

Having your content installed on an external drive is not a problem though.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,260
    edited November 2020
    Leana said:

Having two different versions of DS installed at the same time can cause problems as they'll be sharing the technical files in "AppData". Installing one if them on an external drive won't change that. Only exception is having a general release and a beta.

Having your content installed on an external drive is not a problem though.

Oh right, I forgot about that AppData folder! Thank you. One D/S it is then :-)

update: Bought a new external harddrive JUST for Daz Studio lol ... it's amazing how large that content folder got! Leaving the actual program installed on the computer, content on the external. {it's going to take a few hours [days?] to get it all transferred over. But now I have room to install all these products from the sales :-)

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on