Iray matte on character model instead of primitive?

Hello!

I'm attempting to turn parts of the body itself into an iray shadowcatcher using the iray matte method - unfortunately, even using the formula of create advanced iray node properties -> turning on iray matte on the relevant nodes, and then copying the exact surface from an iray matte plane that works correctly (doesn't get rendered, but occludes/catches shadows), then hiding/turning off and on again the relevant body part doesn't work for the character (or for parts of a geometry shell either, as far as I can tell). I also tried swapping draw settings from photoreal to interactive and back.

Is there a reason that the body parts resist being turned into an iray matte shadowcatcher, or am I missing something? Is there any other way to turn a body part / skin surface into an iray matte surface correctly? The primitives work perfectly for most cases, but not for the specific render I'm trying to make.

I know there's also turning the skin green and using green screen techniques, but that's not quite as good for what I'm doing.

Thanks!