Uninstalling Poser Stuff?

Can I uninstall redundant Poser stuff without it affecting the Daz models of the same name?

I have a 2 TB M.2 drive and I have OneDrive occupying one TB of it and my Daz models would take up almost 700gb as it stands.

I am thinking of moving my Daz models there but I am wondering if I uninstall the Poser stuff if it might leave me with more headroom for later Daz purchases...

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,296
    edited October 2020

Should I change the directory paths first in Daz and the DM and then move the My DAZ 3D Library or move the My DAZ 3D Library then change the paths or maybe copy instead of move the My DAZ 3D Library and then change the paths and then delete the old My DAZ 3D Library. 

Or maybe uninstall everything in the DM and then move the My DAZ 3D Library folder and then reinstall everything in the new directory? I would have to redownload all of my files becasue I did not have the DM retain the install files after install.

And what about my saved files? I have a lot of converted files there too. I created all of the converted folders in new folders in the My DAZ 3D Library directory.

I make YouTube instructional videos and it takes a really long time for models to load.

I am hoping the M.2 drive will speed up this process.

Post edited by RexRed on

I am wondering if the DM actually installs the Poser stuff in a folder other than the My DAZ 3D Library?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    edited October 2020
    RexRed said:

Should I change the directory paths first in Daz and the DM and then move the My DAZ 3D Library or move the My DAZ 3D Library then change the paths or maybe copy instead of move the My DAZ 3D Library and then change the paths and then delete the old My DAZ 3D Library. 

Or maybe uninstall everything in the DM and then move the My DAZ 3D Library folder and then reinstall everything in the new directory? I would have to redownload all of my files becasue I did not have the DM retain the install files after install.

And what about my saved files? I have a lot of converted files there too. I created all of the converted folders in new folders in the My DAZ 3D Library directory.

I make YouTube instructional videos and it takes a really long time for models to load.

I am hoping the M.2 drive will speed up this process.

It doesn't.

Fixing things that cause warnings to appear in the logfile and removing characters/morphs that are not used, needed and/or you can live without, are just about the only remedies for slow loading times.

Edit: The Poser files are very small compared to the DS ones, there isn't much to be saved there.

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited October 2020

I have had success in this endeavor.

I opted on copying my My Daz 3D Library to the M.2 drive.

Then I went into the DM and changed the install directory to the new folder location.

Then I went into Daz preferences and changed the location of three folder links. 

The test was renaming the old My DAZ 3D Library to My Daz 3D Library BAK

Still all of my files were instantly updated to the new location in Daz.

It did not even take a while to reparse the new location.

Daz Studio even loads faster and my models take about 1/12th the time to load into the scene.

As for the Poser files I probably have close to a thousand of them. It would take a while to uninstall them anyway.

For now I have about 350GB left until my M.2 drive is full.

That is not much....

I will have to make choices as to what files I want resident and which ones I can live without for a while or just buy a larger M.2 drive down the road..

I have two M.2 drives in my PC and one of them is only 500GB and I use that for games that I play a lot.

I could probably move those games to a larger drive and then swap that out for a 3 or 4TB M.2 then repeat the same process.

I am hoping the price on M.2 drives comes down in the interim.

My YouTube channel is "RexRed How-To" if anyone is interested in checking out some of my Daz Tutorials.

I stream live in 4K my Daz Studio sessions, many of them are 5+ hours long. :)

Please click the bell to get notifications of when I am live, come join the live chat with other Daz users who come there and chat while I work and please feel free to critique my processes and techniques. 

I am sure I could learn a lot from your experience.

Best to you all!

RexRed

Post edited by RexRed on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

About deleting Poser files: there are still some products here that only have Daz Companion Files ... which means they are simply DS materials for a Poser product. In that case you shouldn't delete the Poser file. I think. wink

Kerya, that is very helpful advice. I think what you are saying is that if I uninstall the Poser product, the Daz companion product will not always function properly and that would  be a great loss of models. Thanks for making that distinction! :)