How to load a too heavy/big scene?

Hi guys and gals!

Somehow I managed to create a scene that looks to be way too heavy for my system (or DAZ Studio itself?) to handle. You know, a lot of morphs and odd experiments... Long story short, the .duf file is 373 mb big, and the DSON in it is 1,3 gb, and DA simply crashes every time I'm trying to load it.

Now, I did saved and loaded it a couple times before adding the object that I think became the last straw, so it looks like I need to somehow delete just that one thing.

So the question is: is it possible to load a scene step by step? Or to edit such a huge DSON file (and which parts of it should be edited/deleted?)? Or maybe you guys have other ideas about it?

//Rebooted, cleaned cache, tried to load another scene - works like a charm, it's something about that aforementioned huge scene.

Comments

• In principle, yes - but there are no tools to do it and I would be reluctant to try hacking my way through the code (obviously working on a copy) in a text editor.

• DarkendDarkend Posts: 21
    feldarzt said:

Hi guys and gals!

Somehow I managed to create a scene that looks to be way too heavy for my system (or DAZ Studio itself?) to handle. You know, a lot of morphs and odd experiments... Long story short, the .duf file is 373 mb big, and the DSON in it is 1,3 gb, and DA simply crashes every time I'm trying to load it.

Now, I did saved and loaded it a couple times before adding the object that I think became the last straw, so it looks like I need to somehow delete just that one thing.

So the question is: is it possible to load a scene step by step? Or to edit such a huge DSON file (and which parts of it should be edited/deleted?)? Or maybe you guys have other ideas about it?

//Rebooted, cleaned cache, tried to load another scene - works like a charm, it's something about that aforementioned huge scene.

I gotta admit, I've never gotten into this pickle, but I'm damn sure I've come close. Considering the amount of time and work you've put into the scene, it might be worth the effort to save it rather than trying to redo the entire scene, I mean unless you have to. I had to recreate a scene partly this afternoon, took about 3 hours to get the poses right, but in the end it looked better, so there is always that. The hilarious thing, is I was merging two scenes, and only after I rebuilt the poses for my two characters (which were horribly messed up) did I even consider to check the timeline, where the problem was located. Would have been a one minute fix. Nevertheless, I love creating with this tool, so it was actually fun to recreate and improve my poses.

Try this though so you can maybe get in and delete the offending object. I suspect that this is a geometry issue, as that is one of the limits that your system can impose on manipulating a complex scene, or, in your case, loading it. If you don't have a layered approach to saving, consider this. Increase the pagefile on your PC. The pagefile can make the difference in loading and sometimes manipulating complex scenes and even helps with rendering. My card shouldn't be able to handle what I throw at it, but with a massive pagefile (I think I have it set to like 40GB), I can do those scenes. Just google increasing the pagefile for your particular windows build. After you do that, try re-loading the scene, if that doesn't work, hard-reboot and then try reloading. Good luck, eitherway.

• feldarzt said:

Hi guys and gals!

DSON files are text (zipped text IIRC) so you can look through it. I have a very strong suspicion that the file is corrupt if it is that large.

• feldarztfeldarzt Posts: 128

Okay, this is kinda awkward...

Let's call this a false alarm. Turned out, I had the DS 4.12.0.86 installed instead of the latest version. And after the update, the scene opened nicely. Go figure...

So yeah, the item in question is deleted and I continue my work.

Thanks to @Darkend for the pagefile idea! It's one of those thing I usually forget about :)