Make dforce simulate hair faster?

I'm trying to make good use of hair like this https://www.daz3d.com/bang-bob-hair-with-dforce-for-genesis-8-females

But I'm just finding them really not worth it. I don't mind positioning and repositioning to get the desired effects when running dforce, but the simulation, each time, just takes so long, that I really don't even use them.

Are there settings I can adjust to make this better? Or, is this a hardware issue (if I get a better graphics card, will it it go faster)?

Thank you.

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited October 2020

A better GPU will never hurt, provided it's an Nvidia GPU if you want fast dForce and Iray

How long is too long? It typically takes at most five minutes, usually two or three. 

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • fastbike1 said:

A better GPU will never hurt, provided it's an Nvidia GPU if you want fast dForce and Iray

How long is too long? It typically takes at most five minutes, usually two or three. 

About 5 mins per simulation. Would be fine, if I only had to do it once, but often times something is off and I need to adjust and do it again. I also wasn't sure if dforce taking that long was taxing on my GPU or not.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

If you are simulating from memorized bones, you can try turning that off, which will reduce the simulation time by more than half.  You can also try changing the collision mode to "Good" from "Better".  Both these changes will affect how the final simulation looks, but that may be okay depending on scene and pose.

But yeah, Bang Bob is takes a while to simulate.  Just tried it with memorized bones off, and it took four-and-a-half minutes in a standing pose with a 2080ti.

• Sevrin said:

If you are simulating from memorized bones, you can try turning that off, which will reduce the simulation time by more than half.  You can also try changing the collision mode to "Good" from "Better".  Both these changes will affect how the final simulation looks, but that may be okay depending on scene and pose.

But yeah, Bang Bob is takes a while to simulate.  Just tried it with memorized bones off, and it took four-and-a-half minutes in a standing pose with a 2080ti.

I turn memorized bones off, but I'll try changing the collision mode, thank you.

I'm glad to hear that the long time is at least a little normal

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    One thing that makes sims faster for me is to change the view so that none of the objects in the sim are shown. I find this really speeds it up.
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

As for the difference hardware makes, you can check out the big speed improvement from the new cards here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/445212/dforcing-hair-30x0-vs-older-cards-cpu-etc

• One thing that makes sims faster for me is to change the view so that none of the objects in the sim are shown. I find this really speeds it up.

Good advice, maybe I can try hiding everything except for the hait and figure and see how that goes, thank you.

Sevrin said:

As for the difference hardware makes, you can check out the big speed improvement from the new cards here.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/445212/dforcing-hair-30x0-vs-older-cards-cpu-etc

That's some good info, thank you. I'll follow that thread, guess I should double-down on getting a better PC for myself, currently using a 2060, I think.