Daz 3D Crashes on IRay Render with CPU Only

Ok So I am an AMD boy. Lets get that outa the way first. I have An AMD Card. HOWEVER, I KNOW you can IRAY Rander using CPU ONLY. Yes, I know it takes a Heck of a Lot Longer. So heres the sit rep. EVERYTHING goes smoothly up until things hit say between 80% and 90% And then it just locks up. I need the BEST Photorealistic I can from this Image. Unfortunatly I can't go out and buy new Physical components right now but might be able to shell out for a program or two.

NOTE: I DO have and know how to use Blender thanks to a couple of classes. I know theres a Bridge plugin for Daz Studio.

I'm using the following system

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad Core 3.5GHz
Ram: 24GB
Card: Radeon RX 580 (Should note taht it DOES kick on from time to time. Maybe Daz is using it's memory)

My Settings IN Daz 3d ( Will only post the cahnges I made. Anything else is considered standard)
GENERAL
Auto Headlamp - Never

PROGRESSIVE RENDERING
Min Samples - 100
MAx Samples - 15000
MAx Time (Secs) - 259200
Rendering Quality - 100
Rendering Converged Ratio - 95% (Had it at 100%)

Everything else is standard settings.

I also go into my Task Manager and Turn off 1 to 2 Cores out of the 4 so that my PC does not lock up.

Mind you, I DON'T Care about Speed. If this thing takes 12 hours, it takes 12 Hours. My CPU is Liquid Cooled and keeps my PC UNDER 105f and all times even when Rendering.

What can I Adjust to get the shadows, to get the details, and make this work without crashing or locking up my PC? Can I stop it at 70% done and grab that Pic because everything beyond that isn't needed? IS there a Renderer add on or evena  Program that works better with AMD stuff that I can install?

Reminder, I am on CPU ONLY and up to a point, it works fine.

Post edited by InquisitorWhitefire on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Have you checked your RAM?

• Do you mean 100 or 1.00 for Render Quality? That setting determines, as I understand it, how much variance is allowed in a converged pixel; turning it up that high is pretty extreme (and will make the render roughly 100 times slower). If you are getting odd areas that are very slow to converge it might be better to let them stand, then do a spot render to a new window (Tool Settings pane) so that you can composite that on top of the full render (if the noisy area accounts for more of the section being rendered then it should stop Iray from regarding it as fully converged so early) or try getting soem more direct light into that area, if it's a shadowy corner.

How much of your system RAM is the render using? My first thought would be that the system is running out. It might also be worth checking the temperatures.

DS should save the render-in-progress as r.png in the Temp folder, set in Edit>Preferences, in the render sub-folder.

• PerttiA said:

Have you checked your RAM?

Ram seems fine. No bad sticks.
  • Do you mean 100 or 1.00 for Render Quality? That setting determines, as I understand it, how much variance is allowed in a converged pixel; turning it up that high is pretty extreme (and will make the render roughly 100 times slower). If you are getting odd areas that are very slow to converge it might be better to let them stand, then do a spot render to a new window (Tool Settings pane) so that you can composite that on top of the full render (if the noisy area accounts for more of the section being rendered then it should stop Iray from regarding it as fully converged so early) or try getting soem more direct light into that area, if it's a shadowy corner.

How much of your system RAM is the render using? My first thought would be that the system is running out. It might also be worth checking the temperatures.

DS should save the render-in-progress as r.png in the Temp folder, set in Edit>Preferences, in the render sub-folder.

I mean 100. I can try lowering it a bit.
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@InquisitorWhitefire

Render Quality is Geometric. You don't realistically need anything more than 1.0 if you can light the scene properly.

•  

What can I Adjust to get the shadows, to get the details, and make this work without crashing or locking up my PC? Can I stop it at 70% done and grab that Pic because everything beyond that isn't needed? IS there a Renderer add on or evena  Program that works better with AMD stuff that I can install?

Reminder, I am on CPU ONLY and up to a point, it works fine.

Yes, you can stop the render at 70% complete and save it as an image file (I prefer .png since it adds alpha channel information), and you would still have an option to go back and resume the render if you feel you need more detail.  I personally set my converged rate target to 95 or 100% and then manually stop the render by eyeballing it when it looks acceptable to me (sometimes at 80-90%, other times I let it run to 95% or even to completion depending on my project, although I am using my GPU for renders).  Setting render quality to 100 is gross overkill--there is a clear difference in render quality between using the default 1.0 and a higher setting, but I don't use settings higher than 4.0, and usually set this parameter to between 2-4.  If your system is locking up late in the render, maybe there is a memory leak going on that is consuming all of your system RAM--you could monitor this and see what is going on.  When I had 32 GB RAM in my system, I would rarely have DAZ crash when rendering very large scenes because it would pull all of my system RAM, but that was usually when starting the render and not once it was already running (I upgraded my RAM to 64 GB this summer and no longer have that issue).  You could also consider using the spot render tool to composite the image (render 1/2 or 1/3 of the image as 2 or 3 separate renders) and then use GIMP/Photoshop to combine them together, which is what I do with large scenes that won't fit on my GPU memory.

• Ok cool. Will try all this. Also downloaded Radeon prorender for my blender software
  • Ok folks, thanks ever so much for the help. It appears the 100% Quality was the culprit every time. Yeah. It's running smooth now and the IMage is beautiful. Now I just gotta get the scene lit properly.