DS 4.12 Bottomline: RTX or GTX choice

Altogether, I have read several comparisons of some RTX cards to some GTX ones, this 1080 against that 2080... but in the end, the bottom line question for me is: what benefits does the RTX technology bring (-or will bring) to Daz Studio? Although I do play games, I am not a rabid gamer. If I am to take the leap, considering that I do more DS than games and that I am currently on a GTX1070ti 8G, stepping up would logcally mean getting a 11G card to fit larger or richer scenes. With the hype on RTX and the new cards, some prices are dropping on the GTX cards with 11G. So it's either buying one of these for the sweet vram or... if the magic RTX can do much for me, wait longer and get one of those... argh.

I really could do with some advice  (._.)

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

There is no competition, RTX wins hands down and hopping on one leg, the only question is how much VRAM do you need and can you wait a few months for RTX 30xx cards with 12, 16 and/or 20GB:s to be announced/released. 

• edited October 2020

"RTX wins" is a bit vague... With games, it's a no brainer, but what does RTX really bring to the DS table? It won't just be a matter of performances too. Budget is an important variable. I certainly won't be rich enough for a 20GB card. I probably won't make a move until / after Xmas too as I am not rolling on gold. 

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

"RTX wins" is a bit vague... With games, it's a no brainer, but what does RTX really bring to the DS table? It won't just be a matter of performances too. Budget is an important variable. I certainly won't be rich enough for a 20GB card. I probably won't make a move untiLafter Xmas too as Iam not rolling on gold. 

No sense beating about the bush trying to save money buying video cards that aren't going to do what you want as fast as you envisioned. You'll reduce render times from 30 minutes to 3 minutes is the clearest concise summary of any GTX cards compared to the 30X0 RTX cards. 

And while you're at it, since you are interested in them for rendering you may as well admit you are going to need the GeForce RTX 3070 16GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3080 20GB RAM, or GeForce RTX 3090 24GB video cards to avoid almost 100% of CPU renders. The only one of those available now is the GeForce RTX 3090 24GB for $1499.

If you are only to portrait render with no complex 3D sets as backgrounds and only have very simple scene you can get a GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, GeForce RTX 3070 8GB or a GeForce RTX 3080 10GB. Only the GeForce RTX 3080 10GB has been put up for sale of those so far.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

For me at least it's all about the VRAM/AI, secondary would be for the gaming performance, that's why I'm shooting for the 3090 as even the 2080ti's paltry 11gb won't cut it, as I can run the general release for compositing, and the beta for rendering while at the same time fitting in some video encoding to boot! For me, it's all about multi-tasking; it's why I got the Ryzen 9 3900x!

Too bad I'll most likely have to wait 'til 2021 until 3090 stocks equalizes!

• One thing to bear in mind is that Iray is now passing additional code to non-RTX cards, to make up for the lack of RTX features. As a result, for a given amount of physical memory, a non-RTX card will have less usable memory than an RTX.

• So GTX will be throttled in comparison to RTX in how much rtam they can use? Not good news...what would be the RTX features in DS, Richard? :)

iRay is a ray tracer. RTX does hardware raytracing. GTX does not do hardware ray tracing. It's that that accounts for most of the rending times differences.

• edited October 2020

Ah, Now that clears it up. I wasn't connecting raytracing itself to rendering speed, rather to quality.

The bill to foot will hurt thoug x_x I'm in France and the prices compared to US here are horrible.

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on

Ah, Now that clears it up. I wasn't connecting raytracing itself to rendering speed, rather to quality.

The bill to foot will hurt thoug x_x I'm in France and the prices compared to US here are horrible.

Yeah, when I worked in Zurich a few of my collegues would actually take their wives and kids to New York City to Christmas shop because it was cheaper. I didn't ask them what they bought but any electronics that could switch between 110V and 220V and be brought on a plane would be good candidates.

• I'm looking at Nvidia's website and it seems they are moving towards direct sale more and more. I wonder if that option would help me, keeping the price lower by leaving out all the middlemen...

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

One thing to bear in mind is that Iray is now passing additional code to non-RTX cards, to make up for the lack of RTX features. As a result, for a given amount of physical memory, a non-RTX card will have less usable memory than an RTX.

That sucks somewhat as I have the money for a 3090, but cannot buy one due to fast depleting stock! Looks like I'm stuck with my 1080 a bit longer than I'd like...