Problem with color in EXR Canvas vs regular JPG

Hi!

I'm facing a problem where my EXR canvas file (after -13,5 exposure) has very different color from my regular JPG.

Look at the the attachments.

How can I make the EXR file look exactly like the JPG file?

I used to render using an Iray Server, and the EXR file was perfectly the same as JPG file (after 0.45 gamma).

jpg.png
1304 x 766 - 2M
exr.png
1302 x 750 - 2M

Comments

• What did you use to covnert them to PNG? I would guess that it used/assigned different colour profiles to each on import.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

I render to EXRs locally all the time and never have any colour issues.  The beauty EXR looks like my jpg render after adjusting exposure.  Did you change the white point in Tone Mapping for any reason or by mistake?  Anyway, you can always change the white balance of the 32-bit image in any decent image editor.

• oppai-manoppai-man Posts: 56
    edited October 2020
    Sevrin said:

I render to EXRs locally all the time and never have any colour issues.  The beauty EXR looks like my jpg render after adjusting exposure.  Did you change the white point in Tone Mapping for any reason or by mistake?  Anyway, you can always change the white balance of the 32-bit image in any decent image editor.

I just fiddled in the Render Settings and found that WHITE POINT was not (1,1,1) by mistake. Lost like 4 hours trying to understand what was going on.

Thanks a lot, Sevrin.

Post edited by oppai-man on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    oppai-man said:
    Sevrin said:

I just fiddled in the Render Settings and found that WHITE POINT was not (1,1,1) by mistake. Lost like 4 hours trying to understand what was going on.

Thanks a lot, Sevrin.

I've had a lot of HDRIs change white point settings.  I know your pain.

I like a lot of vendor HDRIs, but it would be nice if there were easy options to only change Environment settings when you swap in an HDRI, so you don't have to go digging around in your runtime if you only want to change the background.