Categories empty

I am hoping someone might have an idea what is going on in Daz3d with some of my categories. 

This happens when I am categorizing my products, both in my categories area and when it is a new categorized.

Sometimes the products show up perfectly fine in a category and I have all items I would expect.  Sometimes though, the category is created with the entire folder structure for the product or without the additional folders for the product, but in both cases nothing is in the folders.  This happens entirely randomly.  I am doing the exact same thing, Duplicate Category -> Selected Category & Sub-Categories or when I am putting a product in a category for the first time.  This will occur without any reason I can find.  I do one product or category and works fine, do another and it fails, do a third and it works.

Has anyone encountered this problem?  And if so, did you find a solution.

Thank you

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

Does it show the correct number of items in the category?  I've seen occasionally it takes an unusually long time to display the icons (10-15 seconds) -- clicking inside the icon area forces it to refresh.

• It usually will show the correct number of folders under the main folder but no items inside the folders.  No items at all.  Completely empty.  I have reopend Daz multiple times.  I have refreshed.  Nothing.  :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

But some items show up normally in your custom categories?  And you can't see any pattern for what works and what doesn't?

Have you ever exported user data?

• Yeah, the weird thing is that sometimes putting things in categories works perfectly--everything shows up. Other times, I create a category and the folders propagate but the items don't--there's no indication there should be any items in the category folders. This appears to be random, so far as I can see, since I've both copied categories from another computer (exporting user data) and created them fresh on this computer. Some categories just turn up empty.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872
    edited October 2020

Hi.  Categorize all my stuff.  This happened maybe 5 times. Fix was to rename the specific content folder in main Daz folder before categorizing.  Worked everytime.  Downside is if you update, you need to kep track of this, and take care of this when u update.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Ok, that works, but.... why???? Thank you for your help! :)

• lulamfada said:

Ok, that works, but.... why???? Thank you for your help! :)

Ha, good to hear it works.  My guess is that there is a conflict somewhere with an internal database value or string, and the rename creates a new sub-Id or something like that.  Never filed a support ticket on this.

• Oh, just to add oddness to the mystery in case anyone else finds this thread and wants to know the extra odd outcome.  I followed the advice of Saxa and it did work.  I decided though that it might be best to try to rename it back to the old name so the updating would be less of a problem.  So the outcome was this.  The base folder for the category then has items in it but the sub folders lose all their items.  I change the name of the base folder back to an odd name, then everthing gets populated again.  This is a very strange problem but thank you all for your help :)

• Same problem...... A Idea???

• Problem found...

Put your Daz Library on Root HDD, if inside others folders, and name is too long, not appears, windows has a limitations of folders inside folders.... xD

• Anarkia333 said:

Problem found...

Put your Daz Library on Root HDD, if inside others folders, and name is too long, not appears, windows has a limitations of folders inside folders.... xD

It certainly shouldn't be that fussy - but yes too many folders or too long names may cause issues in general.