Hunting Down Rogue Morphs

I have a problem with the open mouth smile expression showing the teeth a little too far apart.  How do I go about either fixing this or finding which character is distorting the mouth?

DS needs to do something to safeguard the base Genesis X characters from being corrupted by badly-made characters.

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249
    edited October 2020

-

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Sevrin said:

I have a problem with the open mouth smile expression showing the teeth a little too far apart.  How do I go about either fixing this or finding which character is distorting the mouth?

Use the Currently Used group in the Parameters pane, and turn on Show Hidden proeprties in the pane's option menu>Preferences.

Sevrin said:

DS needs to do something to safeguard the base Genesis X characters from being corrupted by badly-made characters.

The trouble is, this probably isn't corruption - it's most likely a morph with a non-zero default, or ERC that isn't linked to the master morph so that it kicks in when it shouldn't. There's no inherent feature to say "Oops, this shouldn't be happening" so that DS could know it needed fixing.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    Sevrin said:

There's no inherent feature to say "Oops, this shouldn't be happening" so that DS could know it needed fixing.

Then there needs to be a feature like that.

Thank you for the info, though.  I tried with a blank G8F, and when I showed hidden, nothing showed up under Currently Used. crying  

Fortunately, this isn't one of those fatally disfiguring morphs like AFE or the old Tarian.  It's to do with this thread. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/442997/soft-expressions-collection-2-don-t-look-right#latest

• set77set77 Posts: 20

Thanks for posting that link, I thought I was going crazy with this, figured it was just me

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:

There's no inherent feature to say "Oops, this shouldn't be happening" so that DS could know it needed fixing.

Thank you for the info, though.  I tried with a blank G8F, and when I showed hidden, nothing showed up under Currently Used. crying  

Fortunately, this isn't one of those fatally disfiguring morphs like AFE or the old Tarian.  It's to do with this thread. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/442997/soft-expressions-collection-2-don-t-look-right#latest

"Currently used" doesn't always show the ones that have non-zero default values - Maybe because it doesn't consider them being used.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

If you read P3Design's responses in the thread (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/442997/soft-expressions-collection-2-don-t-look-right#latest), it sounds more like this is related to the specific head geometry of the character rather than an incorrect morph. What I got was that a given head shape could have the teeth higher or lower than a different shape. This would seem to make the teeth "too far apart" in some cases.

fastbike1 said:

If you read P3Design's responses in the thread (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/442997/soft-expressions-collection-2-don-t-look-right#latest), it sounds more like this is related to the specific head geometry of the character rather than an incorrect morph. What I got was that a given head shape could have the teeth higher or lower than a different shape. This would seem to make the teeth "too far apart" in some cases.

Yeah, I read their comments.  But it's the same with vanilla G8F.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

If you clear your log once you have started DS, load the "Genesis 8 Female Dev Load" and apply the expressions - What does the log say?

• Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:

And you applied the Open Smile morph?

Sevrin said:

Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:

And you applied the Open Smile morph?

Ah.  No, I hadn't!.  So when I did, this hidden morph was also at 100%

• eJCMNamMouthSmileOpen

When I set that to 0%, the expression worked as it should.

What's to be done?  I don't want to uninstall Nam, and getting a fix at this point seems unlikely.  I mean I'll put in a ticket, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

When I applied the P3D expression Get Real #25 (See above linked thread), which Mouth Smile Open, that also triggered the following morphs, which exaggerated the cheek flex.

• eCTRLCheekFlexL at 100%
    • eCTRLCheekFlexR at 100%

Toning those down made the expression look more natural.

Thank you for your help.  At least I know how to fix these things now. smiley yes

• Are you willing to poke around? I would expect that the hidden property should have the Open Mouth Smile linked by ERC Delta Add (and it probably does) and should also have the Nam or name head morph linked by ERC Mutliply, so that the correction applied only in proportion to the Nam morph's setting. Assuming that is the case you can set the link up yourself, so no need to remember to zero it

1. Load the Developer Build of the figure
    2. Right-click in the Parameters pane>Edit Mode (if it isn't already on)
    3. Right-click on the slider for the hidden morph>Show in Property Hierarchy
    4. Expand the attributes to get the Controllers>2nd Stage (Multiply/Divide)
    5. Find the Nam slider that is goign to need correcting (might be head rather than the full body) in the Parameters pane and drag it into the Hidden morph>Controllers>2nd Stage group in the Property Hierarchy pane.
    6. Test to see if you can now get the correct result with nam applied and without
    7. If it works zero all the morphs, then File>Save As>Support Assets>Save Modifies Assets.

Are you willing to poke around? I would expect that the hidden property should have the Open Mouth Smile linked by ERC Delta Add (and it probably does) and should also have the Nam or name head morph linked by ERC Mutliply, so that the correction applied only in proportion to the Nam morph's setting. Assuming that is the case you can set the link up yourself, so no need to remember to zero it

1. Load the Developer Build of the figure
    2. Right-click in the Parameters pane>Edit Mode (if it isn't already on)
    3. Right-click on the slider for the hidden morph>Show in Property Hierarchy
    4. Expand the attributes to get the Controllers>2nd Stage (Multiply/Divide)
    5. Find the Nam slider that is goign to need correcting (might be head rather than the full body) in the Parameters pane and drag it into the Hidden morph>Controllers>2nd Stage group in the Property Hierarchy pane.
    6. Test to see if you can now get the correct result with nam applied and without
    7. If it works zero all the morphs, then File>Save As>Support Assets>Save Modifies Assets.

Thank you for taking the time to provide these instructions, but I'm not that ambitious.  For the few times I expect this to be an issue, I'll just make a manual adjustment.  In the meantime, I've put in a ticket, and P3D is asking that this be fixed, as well.

• This is a problem on a fair number of morphs. Things like Krampus, Hippoman, and something sitting stomach rolls that I'm not even sure where it came from. I'm constantly battling these things. To me, it seems like a quality control issue when the morph is tested (presumably) by DAZ staff.