DAZ Studio 4.12.2.54 64bit won't render anything - SOLVED

IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

I just installed DAZ Studio 4.12.2.54 Pro Edition (64bit) Public Build. Unforntunately it won't render anything, not even a cube.

The Render Popup opens and initiates the render process and then closes leaving an unrendered scene with a checkerboard background.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone know how to solve it?

[Deep sigh... always something with DS]

Post edited by IsaacNewton on

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

There is a minimum driver requirement for this version of the Iray engine. Nvidia driver 451.48. it is always wise to check the forum (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/335016/daz-studio-pro-4-12-nvidia-iray#latest) when cinsidering a Studio update.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited October 2020

Thanks fastbike1, updating the video driver worked. I did it not that long ago, but hey-ho!

The thing I don't understand is this:

The program devs know that they are using coding which requires a particular driver update. They must also know what happens when this update is not present. So why can't they include an error trap so that instead of just crashing, an error message pops up giving a warning about an incompatible driver? Sounds like lazy programming to me. Unless the devs want to reassure me otherwise?

edited October 2020

We'll have to differ on this. People need to have some responsibility for their own actions. You've been around Studio for quite awhile. Is this the first time you've had to update your driver? Nvidia recently released new GPUs. That always triggers Iray updates to take advantage of the new GPU capability. This shouldn't be a surprise.

Also, understand that Nvidia supplies the Iray engine for DAZ. If an error trap is included for this, how many others should there be? People always complain about software being slow as it is, often without considering if it might be the nature of a computer that is barely able to be a 'Net brower. 

Post edited by fastbike1 on
    edited October 2020

Indeed we are approaching this from different angles. I don't view it as my responsibility to have to search for reasons why software no longer works following an update in the software package. If I took my car in for a service and upgrade I would expect it to work. If, for some reason, third gear was no longer used I'd expect the mechanic to make that clear and for the car not to stop working if I accidentally went in to third due to muscle memory. No a perfect analogy but I think you'll get my drift. If the programmers change something, they need to make sure it still works or there is a clear message if not.

(Just so we don't get on to the boggy ground of DS being freeware; it's not "free" we pay every time we buy something from the shop.)

Still, I am grateful for your advice which was spot on. Thanks again.

PS just for the record, my computer is reasonably powerful and includes dual 1080Ti cards.

• Indeed we are approaching this from different angles. I don't view it as my responsibility to have to search for reasons why software no longer works following an update in the software package. If I took my car in for a service and upgrade I would expect it to work. If, for some reason, third gear was no longer used I'd expect the mechanic to make that clear and for the car not to stop working if I accidentally went in to third due to muscle memory. No a perfect analogy but I think you'll get my drift. If the programmers change something, they need to make sure it still works or there is a clear message if not.

(Just so we don't get on to the boggy ground of DS being freeware; it's not "free" we pay every time we buy something from the shop.)

Still, I am grateful for your advice which was spot on. Thanks again.

PS just for the record, my computer is reasonably powerful and includes dual 1080Ti cards.

If there are general issues, known to the developers, they usually will be mentioned. If there are more specific issues then it's more like going to the doctor - you wouldn't expect to be prescribed anti-biotics, or amputation, without the doctor first asking questions and perhaps doing some tests.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Indeed we are approaching this from different angles. I don't view it as my responsibility to have to search for reasons why software no longer works following an update in the software package.

You are using a beta build.  That comes with the responsibility to help the developers identify problems.  It also comes with the responsibility to check for known issues and changes.

@IsaacNewton

The Studio software depends on a third party piece of software, i.e. the Nvidia GPU driver, to work. DAZ does alert Users when the minimum GPU driver version changes. This is no different than buying a piece of Mac software for your PC and then complaining that the Vendor didn't make it work on the PC.

As far as you car service metaphor, this is more like putting diesel in you gas engined car and blaming the manufacturer for the car not running.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014
    Sevrin said:

Indeed we are approaching this from different angles. I don't view it as my responsibility to have to search for reasons why software no longer works following an update in the software package.

You are using a beta build.  That comes with the responsibility to help the developers identify problems.  It also comes with the responsibility to check for known issues and changes.

And the possible problems arising from ones computer, the attached devices, their drivers and all the other software installed.

I love all these incorrect analogies (including my own).

Suffice to say, I'll try to remember that there is unlikely to be an error message and check the drivers first :) 

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Suffice to say, I hate to agree with you Isaac but being a professional coder myself and knowing that driver version requirements have changed, the first thing I would have Daz Studio do would be to check the users driver version and

if (card == "nVidia" && driverVersion < minDriverVersion)

message("You should update your video drivers")

Suffice to say, I hate to agree with you Isaac but....

LOL... I have that effect on people for some reason devil